Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Undereye make-up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I know we have at least two make-up gurus here, so help me out!

Any good tips for dark circles? I have naturally dark circles under my eyes, but the early mornings of toddler parenting have made them a lot worse, and now I look like an extra from Dawn of the Dead. Obv not a good look.

I've tried a few different products to cover them up, but it never seems to work out too well. Just wondered if our experts had any ideas? Preferably nothing too spendy!!

:cool:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Pink banishes blue. Try something a bit more peachy as yellow cancels out purple, so it would be something in between.

I actually don't use either of those, because my dark circles aren't dark enough, but you can also...

Use a concealer one shade lighter than your foundation/skin tone, and dab it on with your ring finger (not any of the other fingers, the ring finger will apply the perfect amount of pressure). Dab, not swipe. Also only use it about half way/two thirds across, or as far as the colour goes, because you want to conceal the colour, and if you put it where there is no colour, then your undereyes will still look dark because there'll still be a shade difference.

Benefit Boi-ing is my favourite concealer by a long shot, followed by the Body Shop version of Touche Eclat. Neither are overly pricey, and (particularly with Boi-ing) a little bit really goes a long way.
    i actually find if i put a tiny bot of the foundation i bought thats one shade too dark for me under my eyes, and then my normal colour on top, it looks really natural and you dont notice the dark circles as much, but if i just put my normal foundation all over, because im so pale, it makes the undereye area look greyish
    I've heard nothing but good things about this http://www.boots.com/en/Collection-2000-Lasting-Perfection-Concealer_984434/ I have the GOSH one in similar packaging, which isn't bad, but I'm going to try that one next time.
    My dark circles are really bad.
    if i just put my normal foundation all over, because im so pale, it makes the undereye area look greyish

That's exactly the problem I have. My concealer is a little too light for me atm (still slightly tanned from November hols), and it definitely looks less dark, but not in a particularly flattering way! I look like I'm trying to conceal my undeadness!
    Also only use it about half way/two thirds across, or as far as the colour goes, because you want to conceal the colour, and if you put it where there is no colour, then your undereyes will still look dark because there'll still be a shade difference

Mine does go all the way across! And further! I look like an actual panda.

I've tried boi-ing before, and I couldn't get it to look right at all. There's a good chance I was doing something wrong, but it just seemed to clump and not look smooth or natural. The best concealer I've found (I've tried a LOT!) are the light diffusing one from collection 2000 and the Lancôme one in a tube, which worked fine when I was well rested, but now they're worse, I'm getting the grey look underneath. I'll give the colour correction thing a try - seems like it might work! Where would you get that kind of thing from?

Lea - a lot of collection 2000 stuff is pretty good! My quite posh friend swears by their foundations!
    Kaff, it is expensive but I really rate the Bobbi Brown undereye concealer set. It comes with an undereye corrector and a setting powder to dust over the top so that it doesn't end up creasing.

I was very dubious as first about dabbing on what looked like a funny yellow-ish peach-y cream under my eyes but the colour correction thing really does work. Bobbi Brown counters are normally very good at giving you free trials of stuff if you go and ask them.

Benefit also do something called Erase Paste which is another yellow-y corrector cream. I think it's meant to go on eyelids to pep them up but works for me underneath my eyes too.
    Anyone recommend something v cheap and cheerful and available in smallish boots or superdrug? I look like death after having to share a room at a friends with someone who snores and I have dates later this week!
    try Lemonaid by Benefit. Slightly pricey but worth investing in
    I've tried lemonaid before, but it gave my eyes a weird look. Maybe cause my skin has a yellow-ish tinge anyway - double yellowness!

Have bagged a super cheap sample of erase paste on eBay, and will go and chat up someone on a Bobbi Brown counter when I can locate one round here (Meadowhall, maybs?). See if either of those are the answer!

Thanks for the ideas. The eye-xperimentation continues :p
    Kaff, it is expensive but I really rate the Bobbi Brown undereye concealer set. It comes with an undereye corrector and a setting powder to dust over the top so that it doesn't end up creasing.

I second the bobbi brown stuff...i have a corrector which is peach and the concealer duo, the concealer should match your skin perfectly and the powder to set it. Go in for a consultation as different people will need different correctors. Some people will need yellow others will need quite a strong salmon colour and they can tell you which is the best match for you
    Ever tried The Body Shop - Lightening Touch (very similar to a more expensive brand DIOR)
    - it's pretty good at lightening up the under eye area- but remember to put it on AFTER foundation - this is because it contains light reflecting/absorbing? particles so works best on top -

I personally still prefer a good concealer stick that's thick enough and light enough - too many people are worried about it being too light, but because there will always be a natural shadow in this area it wont matter!

@stephsexinheels

www.sexinheels.tumblr.com