Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Why is there only ever one person?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone else ever get liek this?

You get to know someone you like them and you actually start thinking you'd liek to go out with this person.

You ask about going for a drink or something and they say something like "yeah course. will sort something when I have some time off work"

Oddly you find yourself infatuated with this person unable to stop thinking about them.

Then they just trail off and seem to lose interest and despite having had no emotional ties with this person you start to feel massively hurt and depressed. And no one else takes your fancy whatsoever...

Anyone else ever felt this way?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Happens quite often, its called unrequited love/infatuation.
    I'm there right now.... :banghead:
    Yea, it's not uncommon. You get better at it, when you don't take things so seriously right from the bat. But once every while a special someone gets along that is special because your inner workings totally overstate this person, glorifying them, then it will hurt again.
  • *Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
    Hey there Mylo_B

Firstly, how you're feeling is massively normal. You're definitely not the only one whose felt like this. When you let yourself like someone, all sorts of hormones kick in which you can't control and it can take a while for them to calm down.

Also - rejection is never fun, even if you weren't that bothered to begin with. And the odd thing about rejection is it can make you like the person more. It's a blow to your self-esteem no matter how self-assured you are, plus you generally want more something you know you can't have.

This TheSite article on Unrequited love might be of some help. And a really disgusting but helpful tip to put you off them? Picture them sitting on the toilet doing something really gross :thumb: Vile, but surprisingly useful tip to help you stop fancying someone.

That - and keeping busy will help with the infatuation/constantly-thinking-about-them issue. Remember you don't want to be with someone who isn't completely delighted they're lucky enough to go out with you. *hug*

Hope that helps - if you still feel sucky TheSite boards are always here when you need them.

Holly
    Hmm, I've got about 6 at the moment. Gotta be careful too, because I work with 4 of them, and once I've asked one of them out, I can't ask any more out without it looking like I'm desperately working my way around the workplace.
    Welcome to the Human condition
    Yep, i go through this every now and then. I dont fall very easily for just any guy who comes around the corner but if/when i do i fall hard.

Thing to do is be able to differentiate between genuine interest from them and just polite friendliness and just try not to get so attached to people before there's any basis for their emotion