Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Medium - no impact exercise...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I have hypermobile joints, and after getting my second injury from ju jistsu I was told that I really really can't do high impact sports.

I really want to get back into doing some sport I need to loose weight but I need somethings that I can do without going to a gym or the pool.

So what can I do thats not high impact? Preferably low - no impact
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Pilates.
    Walking.
    I liked pilates, it tired me out a lot and I really ached...do you know of any good pilates DVDs?

I was thinking of getting a kinect if i can find one cheap enough (when I have some spare cash) and seeing if there were any fitness games that I could do...
    yoga?
    I don't like yoga...pilates feels a little less painful!
    cross trainer
    I might put something out on freecycle to see if anyone has one they don't use anymore
    Swimming.

Sitting on the sofa shouting at the telly.
    what i was told when i had an injury and was told to avoid high impact - cycling, swimming, cross trainer, aerobics on a mini trampoline, water aerobics, aqua zumba.
    aerobics on a mini trampoline

Didn't think of that one...thats something I could along with one of those silly DVDs - but might help keep me on track though!
    Walking on a high incline will give you a good workout whilst not putting stress on your joints.

Doing some bodyweight excercises as long as the form is good shouldn't put too much stress on the joints, including push ups, squats, chin ups / pull ups, planks, lunges, etc. these will all help build core muscles that will make your movements in everything else more comfortable, and also will burn a few calories.

Pilates would be the instant suggestion from me though, it's pretty much the go-to for all of my friends / family who have had fucked up knees.
    Cycling isn't high impact. You have to make sure you set the bike up correctly or you'll fuck your knees up more (although you'll quickly be able to tell if you've got it wrong), but as long as you do that, it's much better than running. For your knees, that is. Some people experience neck and back pain though. But swimming is still the best low-impact sport. Oh, and you could also do dancing.
    what i was told when i had an injury and was told to avoid high impact - cycling, swimming, cross trainer, aerobics on a mini trampoline, water aerobics, aqua zumba.

I don't know if it's different for a mini trampoline, but I was under the impression that trampolines are one of the highest-risk things for your knees (well, for pretty much all of your joints, really).
    But swimming is still the best low-impact sport.

not unless you only do front crawl.

breast stroke is one of the worst exercises a hypermobile person can do
    Well aparently I'm not hypermobile, I just have painful joints that like to sublocate from time to time...

I'm going to try swimming...

Why is breast stroke so bad for people who are hypermobile suzy?