Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Need help with job applications while relocating?!?!?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello

I'm in the process of attempting to relocate from one part of the country to another 400 miles away.

I have accomodation already sorted in my new area, but I need to move with a job because transferring with my current one is not an option.

I've uploaded my CV to several sites and made many applications but as of yet, to no avail. My question is, should I include my address as my current one (ie. the address in the area I'm moving away from 400 miles from where I'm applying for) and include a note of my circumstances in my foot note, or should I just simply put my address as the one I've got lined up, but not actually living at yet (bearing in mind if I do this I may not have a solid reason why I'm so inflexible attending interviews)

I'm stumped, what would other people do?!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd use the new address personally. :3 But I could be doing something wrong not sure. lol
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Bare Grills :wave:

This does sound like a tricky decision and from what I can see by searching online there doesn't seem to be a hard and fast answer :chin:

When an application form asks for your address it normally means the address you are in at the time. As you suggested yourself, perhaps it's best to put your current location but mention elsewhere (for example in your covering letter) that you are looking to relocate. As you also mentioned if you get offered an interview you may require them to put measures in place to enable you to attend, such as travel costs or by doing this on the phone. Therefore, it maybe better to be upfront about where you are living at the moment in the first instance so they can be more accommodating later on.

However, on the flip side you have already found the accommodation and may feel as though you would have more chance of getting considered for the job if the address you put down is near to the job you are applying for.

Is this new accommodation somewhere you could stay if needed to attend interviews in the area?

I am no expert about this and so if you want to ask a professional this question or any other questions about what you need to include or disclose on your CV/application form you might find it useful to use our askTheSite service that can give you an answer within 3 working days: http://www.thesite.org/community/askthesite

Alternatively, you said you have been sending your CV to many sites, are the jobs you are applying for through recruitment agencies? If so, then it might be a good idea to ask someone there what they would suggest, as they are professionals in this field.

Hope that helps,
    LauraO
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've applied for jobs that are miles aways from where I was currently living and always put my current address. They've always assumed that if I'm applying for the job, I'm willing to move there.