Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

HIV concerns - please read

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I had unprotected sex with a man on the 13th October 2011 then again on the 3rd November 2011.

Today I had a HIV test.

What is the possibility of getting a false negative? I understand you need to wait 3 months to be absolutely sure of the correct result, however it's been around 2 and a half months since the first time I had sex with him... is there any point of worrying over a false negative seeing as I'm only around 14 days out of the 3 months? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    i wouldn't worry too much but maybe it's worth getting re-tested, just to put your mind at rest :) x
  • Options
    Since you last had sex with him on the third of november, I would say that you need to wait 3 months from then, which would be the 3rd of February.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/HIV/Pages/Diagnosispg.aspx
  • Options
    Hi scared123,

As Holly mentioned in your previous post, Well done for getting tested. It's completely natural to be worried, tests can be scary, but the more knowledge you have of them the more comforting it can be.

Have a look at our article on HIV and Aids, in which this can help with your question:
    You can get a free and confidential test at your local sexual health clinic. HIV tests have improved a lot in recent years and it is now possible to reliably detect HIV from one month after infection. The most common test involves taking a small sample of blood and sending it off to a laboratory. However, there are now HIV tests available that use blood spots or saliva to test for HIV, while it is also possible to take an HIV test which provides the result in just 20 minutes

So it seems that it could be possible to get a result within one month of infection. Do find out from your doctor the exact time from unprotected sex to giving you the right result with the test you did.

Good luck :) do let us know how you get on *hug*