Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Coping with Anxiety/panic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wow. It's been about 10 years since I suffered panic attacks and out of nowhere they struck me again. I cannot even remember I got rid of them last time but they seem more severe this time. I got some meds and treatment sorted but any tips from any fellow suffers? I am on edge all the time at the moment.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Going to the doctors might be a good bet. In general terms there are a lot of things you can do to start to take control of the anxiety in your life - someone told me recently that the trick for people who don't have any anxieties is that they plan around the sitautions that might cause them anxiety in the first place. Knowing and having a plan in advance can be helpful.

In the short term though for panic attacks I'd recommend seeing your doctor. He might be able to give you some medicine. My doctor gave me propranolol for anxiety which took the edge off a little. He should also be able to point you in the right direction.

I think what I did as well - when I got that 'nervous energy' when you feel like you're going to explode and jittery - I would go for a run or walk. I wouldn't pace myself, I would leave my house and sprint to exhaustion, then walk until I caught my breath again and sprint again. When I got back I was tired and the adrenaline had been 'used up' a little bit.

Hope it gets better for you!!
    I've been told that mindfulness does wonders for anxiety - I'm starting to do it myself.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I've been told that mindfulness does wonders for anxiety - I'm starting to do it myself.

:yes:

mindfulness is a really good technique for panic. you might have done it before but incase you haven't, mindfulness from a psychological perspective means focusing on the present moment and what you are experiencing right now. i've seen it work with my own eyes: we gave a little boy with a fear of dirty washing up a lollipop and encouraged him to really focus on the experience - what the lollipop tasted like, what it felt like, how his mouth felt etc. although he was still anxious, he was able to focus on the lollipop so much that he picked up a dirty cup. in its simplest form it's a way of distracting yourself from the thing that is panicking you, but it can be used as a way of meditation and of consciously regulating your anxiety.

the other main method of reducing anxiety when you feel a panic attack coming is to practice deep breathing and relaxation. start with basic breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth, making each breath slow and even. relax your body and repeat the breathing as many times as you need to. then try tensing each part of your body in turn, holding tightly for a few seconds and then releasing. there are loads of instructions online, this one is quite good for the basic techniques: http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Relaxation-Exercises.htm
    Thanks for the replies, I was given Sertraline the other day and I'm on the 3rd day of taking them. I am very jittery at the momoment and find it hard to relax so I will take note of whats been said.