Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Selling a car

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I'm selling my car, i printed some notices for my car window but my friend told me the law changed a few years ago and you are not allowed to put a for sale sign in the car anymore?

Is this true?

Thanks

Betty:thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can put a for sale sign in your car if it's on your drive way. But not if it's anywhere else. I think....
    The only thing that might be relevant is you're not allowed to offer a car for sale if it's parked on the public highway. It's aimed at motor traders though, not private individuals. I've never heard of a ban on a printed ad in your window when you're driving, although if it blocks your vision in any way then it's obviously a problem.
    Just found it again. It's only an offence to offer 2 or more cars for sale on a public highway within 100 metres of the other, and only if you're a motor trader.
    Thanks for your comments.

I wanted to update you where i live in essex, i was putting my car on select roads and i got a notice put on my car from the council saying that this road (and clearly writing the roads name down) has been made illegal for trading or something along those lines.

It also said i had not applied for permission and could recieve a 1000 fine if i dont cease trading.

As the roads name were specific i moved it to another road and got another ticket and then stopped trying to street trade in case of a fine.

I guess you can apply for a permission but i cant be arsed with that :)

Its proberly long winded and chargable?

Oh, and now my clutch has gone... Dammit...
    That sounds like bollocks. If it were a 'no trading zone' there would have to be, probably, a sign up stating so. If you did end up with a fine, your defence would be how would you know such a thing (trading free zone) existed.

Probably some arsey cunt who lives nearby

eta

that being said

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1030410/Grandfather-For-Sale-sign-car-window-given-100-fine-running-street-business.html
    Sounds like bollocks, unfortunately it is just epping forest council.

[url]Http://i40.tinypic.com/2lsh2q1.jpg[/url]
    http://www.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/Council_Services/Licensing/Street_Trading_Consents.asp
    What is Street Trading?
    Street trading means selling, exposing or offering for sale any article in a street. The term street includes road, footway, or other area to which the public have access without payment (this can include private land).
    I didn't take council by-laws into account. I'd ask them to provide you, in writing what the legal power is that is preventing you from advertising your car for sale. If it's a proper by-law then they will be able to do so.

After that, if it doesn't cost anything to get a permit, I'd just get one.
    It seems from the link I have posted, that it costs a lot for the permit. They also keep half the money if your application is unsuccessful.
    Ridiculous. The only way around it would be to have the sign displayed whilst you're moving and then just take it down when you stop. I would find out what, if any by-law this is. It certainly isn't national legislation.
    I pulled this from their website

Fees
    A fee of £315.00 is payable to Epping Forest District Council. If your application is unsuccessful a fee of 2% is refundable.

Am i misinterpreting that sentance or do you stand to get only 2% of £315 back if your application is declined? they keep over 300 just for saying no?

That is crazy!

WhoWhere, I will write the Council a letter asking what the legal power is that is preventing me from advertising my car for sale and post the response here once i get it...

How is that question best constructed?

:thumb:
    bettyboo wrote: »
    I pulled this from their website

Fees
    A fee of £315.00 is payable to Epping Forest District Council. If your application is unsuccessful a fee of 2% is refundable.

Am i misinterpreting that sentance or do you stand to get only 2% of £315 back if your application is declined? they keep over 300 just for saying no?

That is crazy!

WhoWhere, I will write the Council a letter asking what the legal power is that is preventing me from advertising my car for sale and post the response here once i get it...

How is that question best constructed?

:thumb:

I dont know if I'm looking at a different website, but they seem to suggest that they keep 50% of the fee
    http://www.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/Council_Services/Licensing/Street_Trading_Consent_Fee.asp

All from the link I posted earlier
    http://www.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/Council_Services/Licensing/Street_Trading_Consents.asp
    Oh yes i never noticed that bit.

I got the 2% from clicking on your first link and then clicking on the link "apply for a street trding consent online" and then scrolling down to the header "fees"

Talk about make it confusing???
    I would think that, although they have been misleading, 50% is more likely the correct amount, although thats still a huge amount for someone to lose for a failed application and a good earner for somebody processing a form.

I've always wondered about these type of charges as I may be missing something? but im sure the person who processes this form is getting paid for their time already in some type of admin role...
    The fee will go to the council, not the person processing the form.
    They sure know how to make money :d
    Why don't you just advertise the car in your local paper or auto trader - it seems much less hastle and your more likely to get serious enquiries and wont' get fined.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Council wankers.
    Weekender Offender 
    bettyboo wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm selling my car, i printed some notices for my car window but my friend told me the law changed a few years ago and you are not allowed to put a for sale sign in the car anymore?

Is this true?

Thanks

Betty:thumb:

I see adverts in cars nearly every week. Stupid law