Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

15 weeks until a marathon - possible?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I started running around March last year and I've ran the Bristol Half Marathon in early September and the Great Eastern Run half marathon in mid October...

Thing is, since then, relationship plus extremely busy life meant I stopped training (crap excuse I know, though I'm single now)... The past week I've been hitting the gym again to reclaim my fitness...

I had a place in the Brighton Marathon, which is on 14th April and I wasn't going to go due to falling out of training, but I bumped in to two old mates last night who are also runners and who said I can train for a marathon in 15 weeks and should still go for it.

What do you think? Is this possible for a relatively new runner?

The calorie intake scare me, as I'd like to lose more weight (already lost over 40lb), but it looks like I'll have to eat a lot more... Can you train for a marathon and lose weight?

Note: I have a disability which affects my co-ordination, so I'm a slower, but determined runner... I'd like to finish a marathon in under 6 hours.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think it would be pretty tough, but if you were prepared to walk some, it might be ok.

I would try going for a couple of long runs in the near future, and see how far you can get, and then decide. If you can manage a 8/9/10 mile, even with some walking, or slowly, then i think you could probably build up. If not, then maybe book in for a half marathon, as the training schedules are easier to fit in
    I don't expect to be able to run it all!

I just want to cross the finish line... If I can get back up to 10-12 miles by week 7, I could add 2 miles each long run and still have 3 weeks to taper...

It just seems so big and scary...
    how are you with adding distances in general? What stops you going further? Exhaustion, or injuries or lack of time?
    just saying because with me, i found it impossible to keep adding distances after a certain amount, as i had injuries threatening to happen, ie my hips would become ultra painful, even though fitness wise, i could have added extra distances with no problem, and this is one of my reasons for pulling out of brighton
    Shit, was that a problem with your joints or muscle? I remember you said you got injured...
    my joints. I HAve an unstable pelvis, probably because of babies, and slightly misaligned knees, which makes long distances a problem. Id be surprised if i ever managed more than a half marathon