Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What happens in an 'investigation' following absences at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've worked for the body shop since early July this year and have had quite a few sick days, a couple of them being because my Dad was rushed into hospital; but to be fair there is enough days for it to be an obvious problem forgetting my Dad related absences there would be 5 sick days.

My manager is a decent guy and doesn't really like doing all the 'mean' guy stuff but when I phone on boxing day cause I had come down with sickness and diarrhea he informed me that an investigation was probably on the cards *we discussed previously that this might be the case soon- to follow the body shops sickness procedure*

I just want to know what I'm to expect I'm guessing it'll be me and him talking 'formally' about each of the events of absences - did I seek medical help if not why etc. he said i would be on my first warning.

I don't want to nit pick but I was reading somewhere that the policies should be made aware to you = because I joined on a store opening not much information has been given I didn't even get my contract till a month or so into work, and when I was on a 3 month probation period he didn't carry out any of the reviews so almost had my probation extended.

I don't like the sound of an investigation - I simply have had a bad year - it was my first time working in retail, first time working 30 odd hours a week and uni work and my dad has been stressing me out so I'm guessing that's why my body has been susceptible to all this illness.

I also find it a bit harsh that all of the employees have never been made aware of sickness policies, holidays etc. I don't hate the guy so don't want to get him in trouble but I also think the word 'investigation' sounds harsh and a little worrying to hear when your in bed feeling like death warmed up = the added stress i can say did not help.

Comments

• Options
    Everywhere is different but I'd expect they would just ask you some questions about your illness and try to determine if there is some deeper issue that needs to be addressed.

The way you phrase some of your question here makes it sound as if you are considering challenging this process by way of citing some technicality about not being aware of the rules. If that is the case I'd strongly advise reconsidering such a course of action. It would not reflect well upon you if you somehow attempt to shirk the responsibility you have by looking for procedural outs.

If your illness is genuine, then you should not have a problem. You may find, though, that you are expected to "reduce your level of illness".

Phoning in on boxing day with "sickness" is always going to look a bit shifty, whether you're acutely ill or not.
  • Options
    All I will say is that if you pull the "I wasnt aware of it" card, then they may well turn around and say that if you were that bothered about the contract etc and other details, the responsibility is on your to chase it up. This might not be exactly true within the law, but its a line they might take.
  • Options
    You have been made aware of the sickness policy if you have a staff handbook (and you will do). If you've chosen not to look at this policy that's your own problem.

My employer's policy is that if you are off for three periods of sickness in any twelve month period then you have a meeting to discuss your performance. Usually with my employer it becomes a case of having to provide sicknotes for further absences in the next few months. It is not unreasonable for them to be asking this of you if you are repeatedly off sick.
  • Options
    I simply have had a bad year - it was my first time working in retail, first time working 30 odd hours a week and uni work and my dad has been stressing me out so I'm guessing that's why my body has been susceptible to all this illness.

^This is what you should tell them. Since this your first reprimand, relax. They will likely ask what you will do to improve absence rates in the future so explain you're working to reduce stress, taking vitamin C supplements & echinacea to boost your immune system, etc etc.