Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Teeth.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boyfriend had a gum infection when he was small, unfortunately his mum (although she didn't mean to) often neglected things too much, and as a result this gum problem never really cleared up. I don't think his teeth are too bad but they're not as clean as they should be (no black parts but... yeah) and every time he eats apples, his gums bleed, as well as when he chews gum, and uses mouth wash. As all of these things are actually beneficial to teeth health, I was wondering what I could try to get his gums stronger so they don't always bleed, which in turn would help him so that his teeth are cleaner.

I've tried to poke a strict teeth cleaning regime into him as he didn't have that enforced upon him as a child either, but when I'm not around he tends to slip (I can't really understand how you can - if you're around people in the day why would you NOT clean your teeth in the morning?). I know I can nag him (lol) about the teeth cleaning routine when I'm actually with him more, but as for the other stuff I don't really know what I can get him to do/eat to make his gums healthier.

Suggestions/advice welcome. :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Has he been to a dentist? Does he use floride toothpaste? Does he floss? And does he use an electric tooth brush?
  • *Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
    Hey there

I think Scary Monster is right - a trip to the dentist might be the best port of call for your boyfriend. Does he have one? Know how to get one? If he's a bit lax with brushing maybe an strong word from the dentist is what he needs to hear.
    Hi rosellegreywood

As with everyone else a trip to the dentist is advised. I found this info too on the BBC website about Gingivitis. Might be worth checking out.
    Who's affected?

Most people experience some degree of gingivitis at some time in their life, although some people are more genetically susceptible than others. It usually develops during puberty.

Can it be prevented?

Good oral hygiene, regular dental checks, not smoking, eating a healthy diet and keeping stress under control help to reduce the risk of gingivitis occurring.

What's the treatment?

Treatment of gingivitis aims to reduce gum inflammation. This may involve professional teeth cleaning by a dentist or hygienist, education about daily dental hygiene methods and the repair of any dental problems if these are contributing to the problem.

Underlying medical problems should also be treated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/gingivitis1.shtml

Hope that helps a bit.

Phil
    regular use of a good mouthwash will help too as will the use of teepee brushes which a dentist will advise on. Get a mouthwash like oraldene which is for treating gum disease and use that for a couple of weeks, then hopefully you can then switch to something like plax or listerine. ,mouth watch really makes a big difference when my gums bleed. My dentist says its quite common to either have nice teeth but poor quality gums or good gums but poor teeth. Make sure he brushes twice a day and cleans along the gumline and look at diet too as poor diet can contribute to gum problems if you aren't getting enough vitamins etc. Dont forget that there is a direct link between heart health and oral hygeine too.
    I went to the dentist a few weeks back and got told I had mild gingivitis due to my last dentist not removing some plaque build up on my last visit so they hadn't been cleaned properly for a year. I got told to brush my teeth for 2 minutes twice a day (I picked up a little sand timer from the reception) and use warm salty mouth wash as it's more gentle on your gums and teeth than mouthwash. It's really helped and now my gums hardly bleed at all.