Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rights of sitting tennants

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It never rains it pours...

The house we found to move in is actually in not a good state, and our landlord is now looking to sell. If he sells to the person currently managing the property, we know pretty much that we'll be OK - she's as much put what she wants to do in writing. But I'm worried that it will go to some other person and then we'll be sitting tennants.

What rights would we have?

Oh and is there a check list anywhere of what is and isn't safe & legal in rented properties? We really need him to put in GCH because £40 a week just on heating is extortionate!

Comments

• Options
    Not to sure but I do not believe they have to put gas heating in, if they want electric they can, or even oil, the choice is there's,
  • Options
    Hey Miss_Riot,

I'm sorry to hear about a further complication regarding your home.

I found this on the Shelter Website and thought you might find it useful;
    What happens if my landlord sells my home?
    If your landlord decides to sell the property you're renting, they may want to end your tenancy first. However, they will need to follow the correct procedure in order to do this - these procedures are explained in the section on eviction, and will differ depending on the kind of tenancy you have.

Your landlord may need to show estate agents, valuers or surveyors and prospective buyers around your home. Your tenancy agreement may say that they are allowed to do this, provided they give you a certain amount of notice (for example, 24 hours), in which case you can't object, as long as they give you enough warning. If your tenancy agreement doesn't say they can do this, they must ask your permission first, and you have the right to say no. Bear in mind, though, that if you're thinking of renting in the future, you may need to get a reference from your current landlord, so it may be wise to stay on their good side.

If your landlord sells the property to a new owner without evicting you (that is, with you as a sitting tenant), the new owner will have to honour the terms of your lease. This means they won't be able to evict you without a good reason (for example, because you haven't been paying your rent or because your lease has expired), and they won't be able to raise the rent without going through the proper procedures.

Essentially, your tenancy (and all possession procedures contained in it) have to honoured by your existing landlord and any new one, if the property is sold. Procedures etc depend on the type of tenancy you have.

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    they dont have to put gas central heating in if they dont want to and it is expensive for landlords to do so so if they dont have it i doubt you will have much luck there really.