Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mmmmmm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The house smells all Christmassy :)

Made my cake yesterday and pudding today, bit early but i was bored and restless ! If you ant the pudding recipe i shall supply. If you can tie string, stir with a spoon and use a saucepan, you can make this pudding.

Made a square cake for a change. 1. for a change 2. Waaay more cake from a 9" square than an 8" round, yum

Was thinking of making mincemeat this year too as it, apparently, lasts forever if stored correctly.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    pics or it didnt happen :p

yes please for recipe. i might be entertaining my boyfriend's family on christmas day. including cooking. responsability and pressure not to ruin xmas 2011 might be all too much.

also :yippe: i wondered where you had got to, nice to see you back where you belong (Food & Drink)
    funny you saying that, leigh was taking pics of the finished, though obvioulsy uniced, cake last night, wants to do a step-by-step how to decorate thing.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/delias-classic-christmas-pudding-with-brandy-sauce.html

so easy. shove everything in a bowl, except the flour, leave overnight, add flour, cook, store till needed.

my tips

1. add each dry ingredient 1 at a time and give a good stir.

2. if theres something you dont like, say candied peel, put say glace cherries in (equivalent amount) instead. if you don't like glace cherries then a bit more dried fruit. if you don't like dried fruit, why are you making a Christmas pudding !!

3. the alcohol. stout and barley wine will make the pud dark (which you want) but a little bitter ( like me :) ). so if you dont want this, last year i used the juice of an orange and topped it up to required quantity with port, which gives it a lovely, fruity tatste. DON'T put the juice of the lemon in, it'll make your pud like me, tart and bitter ! If you have some, a little ( 1-2 teaspoons) black treacle/gravy browing will help with the colour if you don't use stout. I used cognac (not being posh just had some) instead of rum, brandy does fine too.

4. do THOROUGHLY beat the eggs first. my mate didnt last year and had bits of scrambled egg in her pud.

5. if you're going to put coins etc in, steralise them first or you could end up with a big, green pud that smells of poo. Give em a good scrub, rinse, then pop in boiling water for a few seconds.

6. i lined the bottom of my basin with clace cherries, pecans and whole almonds. looks nice when turned out.

If you havent got a steamer. Take a saucepan big enough to hold your pud, put an upturned bowl in il and fill with water so about 1inch/3 cm of the bowl is still above the water and put the pud on the bowl.

Yes, it does take 8 hours to cook, and you have to keep an eye on the water. just keep topping it up with boiling water from the kettle.
    I'm developing an overhwelming urge to bake while I currently don't have access to a kitchen. You're not helping as that sounds awesome.
    *bump*

just to say you should be marzipaning this week (it needs a week to dry so your icing doesnt go yellow). did mine saturday and made it thick enough to be useable as re-entry shields :) didn't rush this time making the marzipan and it's come our tres yummy.

also, cakey stuff like food colouring, icing sugar, apricot jam, CAKE BOARD (yes in caps coz they can be hard to get from now), edible decorations etc get them now. already seen in the supermarket they're a bit short.

cake boards can be a pain to find, try your local newsagent (especially if he sells cards. card manufacturers/reps always seem to supply cake boards too, and confettit ??) or card shop.

poke me if you think i can help :)
    I was going to cook puddings this year - but life turned a bit shit so I never got around to it.
    I'll taste ya puddin' big boy :naughty::)
    :)
    030.JPG 681.7K
    027.JPG 685.6K
    nom nom nom

the trees are adorable, but i want to eat them