Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tax demand

Tax demand
Hi all, need some help.

I've had a tax demand come through for £200. Basically I get expenses at work as I have to use my own car so I claim the money back for petrol. I was told my tax code would be adjusted accordingly. A year later and I'm sent a bill from the Inland revenue. Now to me this is grossly unfair. I'm being penalised because I'm getting taxed on the petrol, taxed on my wages anyway and taxed on my expenses that I thought were already being taxed.

Any ideas?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you claiming on petrol receipts, or are you claiming a mileage?
    Mileage
    What rate do you get for your mileage?

There's a cut off for what the inland revenue see as reimbursement and what they see as reward. A good starting point would be to find out what your tax code is, and then what that means and see if your tax code was right in the first place.
    If it wasn't right in the first place because work cocked up am I correct in thinking that I can appeal the decision based on that? The letter says I can appeal the decision but as with most official letters it isn't clear or easy to do. I have to WRITE ffs. Who sends letters anymore?"!!?!?