Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Question re: DNA testing via the CSA

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have tried searching the net and read through the CSA FAQ's and can't see an answer.

If there is a disputed parentage - how long does the parent with care (the mother) have to respond to the disputed parent (the father) doing a DNA test?

I saw that if the parent with care refuses to have a DNA test done, the case is dropped by the CSA, but can anyone confirm what window of opportunity is for the mother to react, and have herself and the child DNA tested? Like surely she can't just stall and do it in her own time, there must be a time limit like for example 3 months, right?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I expect it's something you have to do over the phone or through a solicitor.
    Hey there Bare Grills,

Thanks for posting your query.

I've found some pages on the DirectGov site about DNA testing and CSA but they don't include the time limits! As you say it is important to know this!

You may find reading the page helpful though for more information about the process involved - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/ChildMaintenance/IfyourealreadyusingtheChildSupportAgency/DG_199098

I also found a leaflet on the matter - http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@benefits/documents/digitalasset/dg_198851.pdf

Page 23 of the leaflet says that if you have any questions or matters to discuss then you should call the number at the top of your most recent CSA letter. If you don't have this, then call their general helpline and let them know your query. Hopefully they'll direct you to the correct answer; 'You can call the national helpline on 0845 713 3133from 8am to8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 5pm on Saturdays'.

Hope this helps. :)
    I know it might well be disputed, but whether there was a time limit or not, if the child was yours, a 3 month time limit would never change that.
    Thank you L1ttleOne.

G-Raffe, I'm not even going to justify that with a response.
    Thank you L1ttleOne.

G-Raffe, I'm not even going to justify that with a response.

I didnt mean it in a nasty way, but if (completely hypothetical) the child was yours, the CSA or whoever collects the money would still come looking for you. The fact that you asked if it was true or not that the CSA would drop a case after 3 months, suggests to me (though I may be wrong) that they are trying to chase you or may chase you for money. If that is not the case and you are trying to prove you are the father, then wouldnt it be the courts that would be involved rather than the CSA?
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I didnt mean it in a nasty way, but if (completely hypothetical) the child was yours, the CSA or whoever collects the money would still come looking for you. The fact that you asked if it was true or not that the CSA would drop a case after 3 months, suggests to me (though I may be wrong) that they are trying to chase you or may chase you for money. If that is not the case and you are trying to prove you are the father, then wouldnt it be the courts that would be involved rather than the CSA?

I've already done my DNA test - quite some time ago. I am waiting for the results to come back from the parent with care and my son. There is no need for the CSA to "come looking for me" and I am certainly not holding out for them to "drop the case after 3 months".
    Hey Bare Grills,

Did you find the answer you were looking for, or hear anything from the CSA/DNA test?

:)