Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

breach of contract?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I bought some puppies last saturday (3/12/11) and signed a contract with the "breeder" stating that she believed the puppies to be in good health but advised us to consult with a vetinarian within two business day (cost at our own expense). If the vet found anything wrong with the pups and provided paperwork stating so she would take the pup back and refund the money in full providing that the pup is returned within two working days and in the same state of health it was sold in.

When we got the pups home one of them had diahorrea and as the evening wore on it started to have blood in it. We put it down to the stress of change and said we would see how she got on the next 24hours and consult an emergency vet if needs be. The next day she was ok and i got them an apt for monday eve as per the contract. When we got to the vet the vet was concerned, particularly when she had some diahorrea on his table with blood in. He stated that to him it looked like parvovirus (deadly to dogs).

I was really upset and we went round to the breeders as we were right by there.She wasnt there.Phoned later and said wait for the test results. Thursday the test results came back positive with all the doggy diseases you have to vaccinate against. Phoned the breeder who said she was in shock and needed time to process the results. Contacted her today and she says we are stressing her out too much, contract was to prevent this and she will give us less than half our money back we paid and take pups back to move on from this.

Can i do anything about this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im not sure about contract issues, but for someone who breeds puppies to get stressed out by what you have done, is pure ludicrous.
    If she doesn't honour the contract and you have something in writing you can take her to small claims court. You don't need a solicitor, just lodge a claim at the relevant court, it'll cost you £20 and you get to explain to a judge the circumstances and what was promised. Let the judge decide.
    found this

http://www.safefromscams.co.uk/unscrupulousdogbreeders.html

some advice and things to do
    Thank you Guys, i'm currently hoping that it will all turn out to be a massive mistake and that the vets test was muddled up or something. Thanks Rubberskin, that link was really helpful too.
    Hey there Summer-Raindrops,

Sounds like a difficult situation to be in. Have you heard anything from the breeder yet or taken any further steps yourself?

Hope it works out and that the little puppy gets well soon!

:)
    breeder was such a cow to me on the phone i havent pursued it furthur other than speak to a friend of mine who works in law. I know what i need to do if necessary but im still hoping it is a big mistake. Each day that goes past sees the pups getting stronger and the diagnosis more likely to be a mistake so am investing my energy in positive thinking at the moment. Thank you everyone.