Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Going to (or not going to) the doctors about MH stuff

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Advice please guys and girls.

Again, my head is bloody annoying me. And I am almost at the point of resigning myself to the fact maybe I should go to the doctors and see what they say. I've been at this close point a few times, but never gone, I always find a reason not too.

However, it has almost cost me another relationship, I think it is only the guy being understanding and liking me whatever, that has kept things going, I certainly have been a misery pants and horrible the last four or five weeks. In my head, I push people away, so in reality I do too. I hate that, but no idea how to change. My head also is beginning to screw up my sleeping, it keeps me awake at night a lot and the last few weeks I've been waking up during the night, which isn't normal for me.

I also think that for the last four or five years I have suffered with depression and I think maybe I should get help for that too. But I dunno, I've survived this far so part of me doesn't want to involve others, but the other part hates feeling like crap and down and thinks getting help is the way forward. I went to the doctors at uni, one rushed me out the office as he was behind time, the next was lovely but put it down to "uni stress" despite me feeling like it before uni. The councillor said I was "confused and confusing"... so yeah.... not great.

I think I have asked a question like this before, but what do you think the doctors would do? Am I better waiting 'til after Christmas? I really don't like doctros but I really don't like what my head says and does :(

Thanks for reading this, that feels a bit better too!

Comments

• Options

I think I have asked a question like this before, but what do you think the doctors would do? Am I better waiting 'til after Christmas? I really don't like doctros but I really don't like what my head says and does :(

hi lovely

the most likely thing that will happen is that the doctor will ask you what you want them to do, i.e. what treatment you were hoping for. they'll probably assess whether or not you are experiencing a mental health problem or a diagnosable mental illness, and whether or not you are at risk of harming yourself. they might think that although you are experiencing some symptoms of depression you aren't clinically depressed, or they might think that you do meet the diagnostic criteria for depression or another condition. if there is serious concern (if they think you are mentally ill) they might suggest a referral to the community mental health team for an assessment with them, but quite often the GP will make some suggestions of how you can help yourself and see you again in a few weeks before making the referral. they might decide that the CMHT isn't the right avenue (the access criteria are getting tighter all the time and cases have to be 'serious and enduring' to be accepted) and signpost you to another agency like a charity or voluntary organisation. there's also a newer service that has become available called improving access to psychological therapies, often branded as 'healthy minds', which has been put into place to bridge the gap between the GP and the CMHT. it's for people who need more help than their doctor can provide but who don't meet the access criteria for the CMHT, and is targeted at less severe cases of depression and anxiety disorders.

there is the option of medication as well but that tends to be offered alongside some other support, so if you are only offered drugs you should ask what other help the doctor is planning to provide.

also when you go won't make much difference in terms of what you are offered etc, it's more about whether you would feel better getting the ball rolling now or wait until the new year.

:heart:
  • Options
    thanks omg hi,

that's very useful, and definitely something for me to think about- it does sound a bit scary though! :/