Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Favourite Director

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi Guys,

Was having an interesting discussion with a friend of mine about films and their associated directors. Now I don't know about the rest of you but for me when it comes to choosing/viewing films; directors often play a huge part in my decision.

So was just wondering who everyones favourite directors were and why?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Lars von Trier. By far the most creative director of the last 20 years, and one of the few with genuine balls to do something different and really try to push the medium forward in the same way that directors like Godard did in the 60s. Who else would've responded to being one of the most critically acclaimed directors are the very top of his game by creating something like the Dogme movement? Who else would win the Palme d'Or and then make his next film with no set and a dog that's just painted on the floor?

I'm also a fan of Wong Kar Wai, Tsai Ming-liang, Tran Anh Hung, Lukas Moodysson, Bela Tarr, Aki Kaurismaki, David Lynch, Pedro Almodovar, Zhang Yimou, Lone Scherfig, Steven Soderbergh, Abbas Kiarostami, Michael Haneke, Darren Aranofsky, Hayao Miyazaki, and the Coen Bros, of directors that are still making decent stuff regularly.

I'm finally getting into my British films too, with some stuff by Danny Boyle, David Lean, Ken Loach, Stephen Frears and Mike Leigh.

For some older stuff, Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese, Ingmar Bergman, Alfred Hitchcock, Yasujiro Ozu, Stanley Kubrick, Vittorio de Sica, Francis Ford Coppola, Krzysztof Kieslowski, Sergio Leone, Brian De Palma, Jean Luc Godard, Francois Truffaut, Sergei Eisenstein, Federico Fellini, Jean Renoir, Luis Bunuel and Akira Kurosawa (I know some of these are still making stuff, but nothing I've been massively impressed with - although I hear Woody Allen's last film was pretty good).

And some I haven't got around to checking out yet but really want to are the Dardenne Bros, Nanni Moretti, and Andrei Tarkovsky. Tarkovsky's obviously got legendary status, and the other two have won numerous awards in the past decade or so.

I'm also particularly interested to see what Christian Mungiu does next. I'd like to check out some more of Walter Salles' films. And I want to watch Katalin Varga by Peter Strickland purely because he made it in Romania using £25k inheritance with no support from the industry whatsoever, and then went on to win awards with it.
  • Options
    I like Tim Burton :D
  • Options
    Tim Burton :heart::heart::heart:
  • Options
    I've got a pile of favourite directors. it's kind of inevitable after spending so long looking at aueter theory. As a result I tend to love those directors who create a really solid personal vision throughout the films they make - as opposed to those film makers who are simply very good at their job.

It tends to be dying out though, I'm not convinced the opportunity really exists for a film maker of significance in Hollywood to impose themselves in the same way they could.

I'm sure some could still do it but I've a hard time really seeing a strong impressive vision or subconcious aim behind Cameron or Spielberg or even these days Scorsese. Which is a shame. There are a few exceptions but not as many as I'd like. So you've got Tarantino or Smith or Burton but to be honest it tends to feel more like a personal style as opposed to an overiding theme and vision.

But anyway, my top directors, those whose films I'd always watch would probably be, hmmm, I'll say ten but this could change at any time -

Alejandro Jadorowsky
    Alfred Hitchcock
    David Lynch
    Werner Herzog
    Nick Roeg
    Takeshi Kitano
    Peter Greenaway
    Jean-Pierre Melville
    Stanley Kubrick

and the pick of the bunch, and already mentioned, would be Andrei Tarkovsky. I think I'd happily watch the leaf floating down the stream at the start of the Solaris than 99.9% of films ever made. An astonishing artist, a rival to Cezanne or Rothko or Aristotle or Da Vinci in his own field.
  • Options
    Here's a shot from Mirror as an example of his work -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBZsj8FPSbo
  • Options
    Sofia Coppola's films always strike me as beautifully shot and with amazing soundtracks usually. Chan-wook Park's vengeance trilogy was amazing and I'm a Cyborg, But That's Ok was fun. Baz Luhermann and all the colours he uses is amazing. and I'm a sucker for a Judd Apatow film. Need to watch more than one Woody Allen film but good so far!...
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Kevin Smith.
  • Options
    Tim Burton FTW !!!!!
    Xx
  • Options
    Apart from ones I avoid (Burton), directors don't play a major part in my film watching decisions.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Apart from ones I avoid (Burton)

Wahhhh!
  • Options
    But..But.. Burton is AMAZING
    Xx
  • Options
    To each their own.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    To each their own.
    I'm with you on this one.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'd have to say M. Night Shyamalan. I've liked all of his films a lot, even ones that both critics and most others I know thought were bad.
  • Options
    Apart from ones I avoid (Burton), directors don't play a major part in my film watching decisions.

Maybe I was a little over expressive using the word 'huge' :)

Directors definitely play a significant role in my DVD collection though. However my friend who I was having the conversation with couldn't care less about directors so maybe it's just me.
  • Options
    style is a big factor for me, like how colourful the promo material is and costumes etc.
  • Options
    style is a big factor for me, like how colourful the promo material is and costumes etc.

oooooo!! :p
  • Options
    Well just for the fans and for those that aren't ;)

We've got a Burton poll up on the homepage today -

http://www.thesite.org

(sorry for the spam :) )
  • Options
    Could argue with you that NBC wasn't directed by Burton, but you did say what's his best film ... so I'll let it slide this time :p

And it so is his best one.
  • Options
    Yeah, Henry Selick must hate that! Still, does have Burton's name over the top so it's hard not to include it :)

And now I'm off to start a Tarkovsky marathon, just to remind myself how good he is
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    cant beleive that shane meadows hasnt been mentioned.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i don't think i've ever been to see a film knowing who there director was other than james cameron and avatar and even then i didn't know it was him that did titanic :s
  • Options
    I know it's down now, but I don't believe you had Edward Scissorhands up, and I forgot to mention that. Tsk tsk. That, was his best.
  • Options
    Peter Jackson
    Spielberg
  • Options
    → Steven Spielberg :)

I think he's one of the best director in the world even almost be "the best director" in my opinion. He's always give something different in his movies. He can see funny think or serious think of side and of course he's so genius. I like almost all of his movies.
  • Options
    Darren Aronofsky
  • Options
    Still Lars von Trier.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Still Lars von Trier.

Have only just recently watched a couple of his films - Anti-Christ and Melancholia - both brilliant imo.

Directors play a massive part in me choosing films these days, tis what happens when you hang out with Jim V for so long. :)

Also a massive fan of Shane Meadows and reckon Paddy Considine will be a future fave if Tyrannosaur is anything to go by...