Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Help with panic attacks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A few days ago I had a really bad panic attack and since then I have been quite anxious. Sometimes I am ok for a few hours then my heart starts pounding and get panicy. I've just started taking some anxiety tablets again (yesterday) but never had a panic attack like I had Thursday, it was awful.

Basically I'm looking for some advice on coping with these attacks and maybe how to stop having a full blown one as I cannot relax when I start to get anxious and start pacing around the house, get tired then can't sleep.

Comments

• Options
    I suffer with anxiety disorder and I find that strategies such as the elastic band technique, that my psychologist taught me work best (tighten and relax each part of your body in turn), however the key to ending the panic attack is focussing on your breathing and slowing it right down as hyperventilating is what causes u to feel light-headed and panic x good luck x
  • Options
    I agree with the breathing, make sure you are breathing from your abdomen and not chest- place your hand on your stomach and make sure it rises when you breathe in, and falls when you breathe out.

I also recommend a book i got from the library recently: http://www.amazon.com/Stress--Stress-Without-Doing-Less/dp/0745953735/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322942896&sr=1-2

I found it really useful, for panic, stress and self esteem.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on xx
  • Options
    Hi MrRandom

Panic attacks can be horrible. Sorry to hear your going through a tough time with them.

Here is a link to a great resource from mind. It will give you a sound knowledge of what they are, likely causes, effective therapies and useful links to organisations that can offer further professional advice.

Check it out and let us know how you get on.

http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnoses_and_conditions/panic_attacks

Phil :thumb: