Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

TheSite.org Book Club: Discussion on November's Book - 'Eat, Pray, Love' by E Gilbert

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I can't put her whole name in the title because of character restrictions, but you get the picture.

Anyway, since Suzy nominated, it's up to her to post the first review.

Take it away, Suzy!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I need to charge my kindle and get on with reading this book! Look forward to reading Suzy's review. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Suzy! Are you going to post :/?

Or would anybody else like to start us off?
    I'll be honest, I didn't finish the book. It was difficult to get into the flow of it really with its unique style of chapters and I didn't feel any attachment to Elizabeth. It seemed very self-indulgent, and I think that was at the expense of the story. I think it would probably reach out more to women, especially women who are going through the whole spiritual / rediscovery / midlife crisis thing, who could identify with a lot of the themes of chastising herself quietly and having strange and inappropriate ideas at times.

I think that's normal though, but for me it was like reading a teenage girls diary or something. Probably very interesting for the teenage girl and her friends, but a bit aimless and 'meh' for me.

So sorry about that if I've let the book club down a bit by not finishing it :( I just really wasn't enjoying it.
    Ooo what a terrible book this was! I picked it up for a silly amount of money at an airport. Very whiny woman, very whiny style and oh how lucky she was that we are a degenerate boring collection of people so she can have at least a few fans...for someone like her has a great need of them I suspect.
    She is very proud of the fact that she's comfortable with the definition of "metaphysical", I got the idea, and delighted with herself when she spontaneously thinks of someone else. Although I liked the bit about Italy in the film, which I watched at someone's house....I don't know what I was doing at the house of someone who enjoyed this kind of thing though.