Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

disappointment. anti gay bill passed in petersburg

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://rt.com/news/prime-time/gay-community-law-protest-953/

http://sosogay.org/2011/stand-up-for-russia/

a ban on 'propaganda' <- a (throwback word anyone?) of sodomy, bisexualism and lesbianism to minors. just to increase the offensiveness- they lumped pedophillia in there too as well as using the punchy euphanism 'sodomy' in relation to gay men i'm assuming. this makes it illegal any public activity such as marches for lgbt rights incase a child sees.

so many things wrong here.

Comments

• Options
    Do we know specifically which kind of activities are likely to fall foul of this legislation?
  • Options
    I think the law is deliberately unspecific. By using the sanction 'when minors are present' this would disallow any public demonstration or free speech in public. Some more info on amnesty http://amnesty.org.uk/news_details.asp?NewsID=19811

I'm having trouble finding any other credible UK sources reporting on it though there are tons of gay rights websites showing their disgust.
  • Options
    It certainly smells fishy, though I'd like to ascertain what exactly the bill contains and what it aims to stop.

The only text the Amnesty article given in quotes, presumably from a Russian source, is this:
    "public actions aimed at propaganda of sodomy, lesbianism, bisexuality, and transgenderism among minors."

The language makes me suspicious: taken literally it reads that groups have been going round extolling the wonders of buttsex and gender reassignment surgery to children, something I find highly unlikely. It smacks of the clumsy wording of thinly disguised bigotry.
  • Options
    It certainly smells fishy, though I'd like to ascertain what exactly the bill contains and what it aims to stop.

Pretty obvious, as far as I'm concerned. The usual bigoted legislation aimed at preventing any of these issues being discussed in school. Better for gay teenagers to think they're abnormal, of course.
  • Options
    Latest update I think: www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/11/23/outcry-prompts-st-petersburg-legislature-to-reconsider-gay-propaganda-law/ .

Though the link below on Google stated they were thinking of 'rewording' it. Presumably this means taking out the catchy euphanism 'sodomy' for a less sensational, 'gay men'. Why are people so obsessed with the act itself? I find it really strange.

IWS- Tell me about it, Russia has the one of the highest rates of suicide. If this legislation goes through young 'questioning' people don't stand a chance.

I blogged about it today if anyone fancies a read. I was thinking about copying and pasting it but the style isn't great for P&D and I'd look more of a twat than I usually do.

and.. this is still running if anyone wants to sign: http://allout.org/en/actions/russia_silenced
  • Options
  • Options
    This makes me think of Section 28, which the Tories brought in during the 1980s...
  • Options
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »

oh. my. god.

in particular
    Of course, there are emo teens who just listen to their music. But our actions are not directed at them but rather at those who also hurt themselves, commit suicide and promote those acts," bill co-author Igor Ponkin explained to the Moscow Times. Though we are not certain how Ponkin intends to target people who have committed suicide, he certainly seems determined.

repulsive