Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Research on mental health and pussy cats

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/our-news/news-archive/2011/11-11-14/

The mental health fouundation have published new research on the benefits of owning a cat.

I know that my cat really helps me. What do you think?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd be a million times worse off without my cat. When I'm not at home I miss her more than anything. Just having her in my bed at night helps me, as hurting myself in front of her is not an option at all so she sort of keeps me strong if I'm having a bad night especially.
    I agree but then I think any pet that provides companionship would do the same thing. But everyone knows that cats are the best..

We got a kitten recently, couldn't imagine life without her now. Sometimes pets can just alleviate boredom, I love watching her potter about getting into silly situations. Falling off a table and shooting you that really offended, disgruntled look when you laugh at them. I know that the act of stroking a pet is supposed to relieve tension too.
    I found looking after the last cat (that wasn't mine) really difficult. But she was ill as well, so that probably didn't help.

I'm normally a cat person, and I found my last cat was awesome and used to come sit on me when I wasn't well or unhappy. she was/is great. Such a shame she can't do cat baskets :(

I think it covers all tactile pets though. I really want to have a support dog for PTSD (there are support dogs for all sorts of mental health issues), but unlike in the US they aren't legally recognised in the UK, and thus theres no one that can train them. I want to start a campaign to get them legally recognised but I haven't found many people who are in support of the idea yet.
    Kittehs fucking rock :D

During the daytime Persia will often come to me when i'm on my comp, meow, meow, meow, which means 'walk up the garden with me and be with me' which i do and makes me all warm inside :)
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I love my cat, and I think she definitely helps me - but only on her terms of course!
    My cat is good- company and great atmosphere to have around
    Sometimes pets can just alleviate boredom, I love watching her potter about getting into silly situations. Falling off a table and shooting you that really offended, disgruntled look when you laugh at them. I know that the act of stroking a pet is supposed to relieve tension too.
    :yes:

Spending time with animals relaxes me. They are funny, annoying, messy, smelly, flea bags and I'm happy to have them in my life.
    My cat makes me smile, the way he paws at things he's unsure of, like the hair dryer and then jumps so high when it moves or the way he wobbles his head when playing with scrunched up paper.
    And they're so versatile

Hard day at work ? How about a relaxing massge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=598IdFlOXcQ

Of course, don't ask for 'extras' as it might offend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_S5cXbXe-4&feature=related

They're fun, fun FUN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bmhjf0rKe8

But sometimes, you just need and extra big, squeezy hug to make it all go away.

*CAUTION. This one is so sweet, watch it twice you'll probably get diabetes'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzgpeLFf4z4&feature=related
    Awwwwww massive smile :d

The big, squeezy hug is soooo cute.
    stands to reason, having a pet soothes your nurturing and maternal side but without being too difficult or being too much commitment, and it also makes you feel loved and needed.

Plus theyre fluffy :heart:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Cats are the main hosts of Toxoplasma gondii which causes toxoplasmosis :sour:

from wiki
    Transmission may occur through ingestion of contaminated cat feces. This can occur through hand-to-mouth contact following gardening, cleaning a cat's litter box, contact with children's sandpits, or touching a leach, and can survive in the environment for over a year.
    Cats excrete the pathogen in their feces for a number of weeks after contracting the disease, generally by eating an infected rodent. Even then, cat faeces are not generally contagious for the first day or two after excretion, after which the cyst 'ripens' and becomes potentially pathogenic

The parasite can cause encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) and neurologic diseases, and can affect the heart, liver, inner ears, and eyes (chorioretinitis).

It is easy for a host to become infected with Toxoplasma gondii and develop toxoplasmosis without knowing it. In most immunocompetent patients, the infection enters a latent phase, during which only bradyzoites are present, forming cysts in nervous and muscle tissue. Most infants who are infected while in the womb have no symptoms at birth but may develop symptoms later in life

Recent research has also linked toxoplasmosis with brain cancer
    Studies have been conducted that show the toxoplasmosis parasite may affect behaviour and may present as or be a causative or contributory factor in various psychiatric disorders such as depression, anxiety and schizophrenia.

I certainly would let a cat sleep in my bed. :yuck:

:)
    Weekender Offender 
    More cat shit than cats.

Bit of a difference between letting a cat sleep on your bed and eating cat shit.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    More cat shit than cats.

Bit of a difference between letting a cat sleep on your bed and eating cat shit.

Not if their arse comes into contact with the fabric. And I've seen how they kick around their shit when they're burying it - you think it's then hygienic to let them walk on you're bed, furniture or side?

Pets on beds is unhygienic. I've love my dog but she stays on the floor, in her own bed or in her own chair.
    Weekender Offender 
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    More cat shit than cats.

:heart:

About half of people in the UK will have the infection at some point in their lives.... and most of them will have not known about it because it isn't really a problem in healthy individuals. Only really an issue in pregnancy. And also - eating undercooked meat is another cause which explains the higher rate in countries such as France.

So to be honest... if you avoided everything because it just *might* make you ill... your life would be pretty boring. (Think DM + cancer headlines)

CATS FTW.
    Only really an issue in pregnancy.

Not really true. If you HIV+ it's pretty big issue too.

And even latent toxoplasmosis has been linked to behavioural changes in humans. It's proven to slow reaction speeds and studies have shown that you are 2 to 3 times more likely to have a traffic accident.
    It's also been linked to mental health issues such as depression, bi polar and schizophrenia.

Letting your cat sleep on your bed is nasty.
    Weekender Offender 
    :heart:

About half of people in the UK will have the infection. CATS FTW.

Indeed :)

It's such a Daily Fail article :D
    Skive wrote: »
    Not really true. If you HIV+ it's pretty big issue too.

Hence the "healthy individuals" bit.

.... CATS FTW

lolcat-41008000x0500x375.jpg
    Underestimate it at your peril. As I said the latent disease effects healthy people too without them knowing about it. :)
    And it's not the only thing you can catch from cats and dogs. Do you let them lick you face too? Cats have more disease that can jump to humans than dogs do, and this is compounded by the fact many more cat owners share furniture with cats. :yuck:

I'm not a clean freak or anything and I'm not scared of a bit of dirt but sharing you bed with an animal is disgusting. Letting a cat walk all over you bed after it's been kicking round it shit is just fucking nasty.
    Weekender Offender 
    Sometimes I kiss Randomcat's little bottom :blush:
    properly on the bottom?

on the teatowel holder?
    on his little bumhole :)
    lol you liar
    lol if only I was lying.

A game I used to play when I was going out with Randomboy was kiss RC's bottom then kiss him which he hated.

I think I have boundary issues due to my BPD.

I have also tried breastfeeding my cat which caused a bit of upset between me and my cousin who says it's wrong because we are different species. Whatever. :rolleyes:
    battlecat sleeps in my bed and keeps my feet warm. it's a risk i'm willing to take.
    oh RG, im really not even that surprised *hug*
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    lol if only I was lying.

A game I used to play when I was going out with Randomboy was kiss RC's bottom then kiss him which he hated.

I think I have boundary issues due to my BPD.

I have also tried breastfeeding my cat which caused a bit of upset between me and my cousin who says it's wrong because we are different species. Whatever. :rolleyes:

:sour:
    Weekender Offender