Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Coroner's Inquest - what to expect?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm "required to attend court as a witness" in about a fortnight :nervous:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, if it's an inquest you're not on trial. It's a meeting (for want of a better word) to determine the cause of something, usually a death as you probably know.

They usually like you to be objective (think that's the right word) in your facts. They want the facts of what happend, 'I saw x fall down the stairs' 'I saw y stab z' etc not 'I think a was pushed down the stairs'

But they can and do ask people of what they think of the situation. 'Do you think the person was depressed ?'

Good luck
    Have you already given a statement? If so, you'll probably be asked to read it out, or the coroner sometimes reads it for you. Sometimes the coroner will ask you to clarify things and some extra questions. The family can also ask questions - sometimes they have a solicitor to do that for them. There are also sometimes jurys at inquests (again depends what sort of case it is, but they don't normally ask you anything.

If you haven't given any sort of statement, the coroner will just ask you what you know/remember about what happened.

As Rubberskin said though, you're not on trial. More often than not you'll just go through your statement, be asked if you want to add anything to it, and that's it.
    Should I submit technical questions I intend to ask to the coroner before hand? in writing or by phone?
    I've booked the day off work. Do I have to take it as annual leave or is it some other thing?
    Hey there,

Sounds like a big task to attend the inquest.

Rubberskin and Kat B have given some great advice about what you can expect when you're there.

In terms of taking the day as annual leave or not, you will have to see what your firm's policy is on this. But you may want to contact the Coroner's office to see if they will pay your expenses incurred on the day.

I think you'd also need to confirm with the Coroner (or their office) wether you need to submit your questions beforehand.

I've found a guide to Corner's and Inquests (Sections 14 - 21 will be particularly helpful to you.

Hope this helps.

:)
    thanks for you replies, I found them helpful.

Things went OK on the day.
    Glad to hear it all went well :)