Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tips and hints for council house bidding?

13»

Comments

• LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    I am sure your friends do not mind you talking about it, this is something which is extremely important to you, so they should be understanding. We are always here to listen too, and remember chat is open tonight :thumb:

It sounds as though the system does not feel very logical or fair right now, but keep being persistent even though it may seem really hard, you're doing so well! It's great you have got your doctor and support worker on side to help on your behalf too.

Stay strong and try to get some rest for now so you get well soon!

LauraO
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I got told off by someone (my ex of all people), for giving up on looking with estate agents. I still keep my eye out for ads and such, but I've been given a really hard time by estate agents about not having a guarantor so many times, I don't think theres any point. I'm asking a friend that works at a large goverment place near-by to look out of any ads for me. He was saying to me that its not going to fall in my lap, and I should be checking out places like gumtree and such everyday, but I'm finding the constant rejection really hard to cope with. I know I shouldn't take it personally, but the way some of these agents speak and look at me when I tell them I'm on housing benefit is vile.
    So, that place we missed out on...we've just been offered!! :D

I'm trying not to get too exciting, just incase it doesn't work out, but I think it should be OK. Going to have a look tomorrow at the area, hopefully we'll get to have a look inside as well, if not monday.

I really hope this is our break!!
    :yippe: great news, hope the viewing goes well and let us know how you get on with it.
    Just saw the house.

I'm suprised its being offered to anyone right now, it has no floors, no kitchen, no radiators, not much plaster on the walls, and no doors - the front door look like it had been kicked in a fair few times too. It won't be ready for another 6 weeks at least. I really didn't feel safe in broad daylight let alone at night, it was a really dodgy area and the garden was filled with rubbish and stuff - its a shared garden, split into 2, so its not all the previous tennant's, they told us that they had problems with the tennants upstairs - anti social behavour, property management etc. That didn't exactly fill me with joy at the prospect of moving in. The second bedroom is only big enough for a cot, not an adult bed and anything else any. :(

Maybe in the past we have been a bit fussy, but not with this place, we were apparently the 3rd lot of people to view it and turn it down. We can't live somewhere that isn't big enough for 2 adults, because its just going to cause problems between us.

We need to find somewhere by xmas because we're not staying here for xmas and we're going to have to hand back the keys and go into B&B. But saying that, our landlady has gone totally loop the loop and now decided that we did pay the rent and now wants 2 months rent (november & december - yet we've said we're not paying it in advanced because we don't know how long we'll be there, but we'll pay the rent for the time we stay), but she seems to have changed her mind about having us out, she now just wants rent... :-?

So, we are looking at 2 privately advertised properties tomorrow, both in areas we weren't looking in before, so fingers crossed one of those will work out.
    Hey Miss Riot, :wave:

Sorry to hear that the recent viewings have not gone so well. I am also surprised that they showed you a property that it in need of so many repairs...

Glad to hear that your landlady has come to that decision. Maybe she has realised that receiving rent is better! :d

Let us know how the viewings go tomorrow!

:)
    We're still going to move, we're sick of being treated like crap! But hopefully something will come up tomorrow!
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

We saw the first place today, and although it still needs some work done to it, we decided that was the one! Its £125 cheaper than our current place, bigger and has better transport links. It does have electric heating, and its not going to be quite so easy to get to college, but its easier to get anywhere else.

Wow! So much to do now! I got a bit emotional when I realised that I'm going to have somewhere safe secure and permenant for christmas. Its a bit silly, because I'm not even chrisitian, but its the spending quality time with my ma and not having a lonely cold christmas where I have none of my things around me.

I'll probably add a few more posts regarding the move, but I want to thank you all for your help! I've rambled and stressed over 5 pages and I've got some really helpful advice, but most of all, your support has really kept me going in the most horrible situations. Thank you!!! :D
    Well done :)
    :yippe: This is really great news! All your hard work has paid off, and it sounds as though you'll be really happy there :D
    That's great :D
    That is great news Miss_Riot!
    I am really happy for you. :yippe:

When do you move in?

As soon as we can find a man and van! considering its less than 6 miles and only a transit van load i think a quote for £75 is pretty steep!
    Do you have any friends who can help out. I've done short distance moves where we have just loaded up someones car three or four times and all pitched in with carrying stuff.
    Not during the week, most people around here don't drive so its just a case of me loading up our car on my own. We've got most of it over with a van and man yesterday but theres a load at least still to go. The landlady came today and got a bit arsey, she's doing the inventory on the old house tomorrow. The heaters have still not gone in the new place, so hopefully they will tomorrow!
    Hey Miss Riot,

Hope the move went well. I know this means a lot to you.

Have the heaters come yet?