Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Are some people just not meant to have relationships?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
and by that I mean friendships as well as romantic/sexual ones....

Very much how I feel at the moment. Like I am incapable of connecting with anyone.

So what do you think? Are some people just "supposed" to be by themselves? Starting to feel like it would be considerably less painful to make zero effort than just be disappointed constantly.

Comments

• Options
    I wonder this sometimes and my answer is, i hope not
  • Options
    Thats certainly how I have felt for the past two years. I have not clicked with anyone new since uni and a lot of the people I have tried to make an effort with are not interested. They often see me as "just a work friend" or they already have enough friends thanks. It sucks.
  • Options
    I guess it is ingrained into us that we want to have something or someone to care for and someone who cares for us. Lets call it a friendship. Now, the human is a creature of indulgence and it usually likes sex. Add that, call it a relationship. Most people like that, so most people want to have it.

Nobody says tho, that everyone wants those things, or that everyone wants to acquire those things out of a relationship. If you feel like you don't want a relationship, so be it, but I guess you can't be sad then for not having one. If you want one, you will work on it to get one, and when you have one you will be adamant to do things to let the relationship last. Which, looking at the vast number of people who want relationships, is just a matter of time and patience.
  • Options
    Is it just a matter of time and patience if say you have been waiting more than 10 years though?
  • Options
    JanePerson wrote: »
    Is it just a matter of time and patience if say you have been waiting more than 10 years though?

Yes.

Of course you have to put everything in perspective. If the only times you leave your house is to buy groceries or go to work the chances are slim that your future partner will come to your doorstep, knock, and ask to hook up.

Coincidentally, next year it will be my 10 year mark (not regarding little somethingsomethings, and a ultrashort relationship of a week I was hustled into and wasn't feeling at all).
  • Options
    ot's painfi; :(
  • Options
    Humans are pack animals, we're meant to live in communities, have partners and be social. Saying that, its not always easy. Having social insecurities, influences from your past hurts, and people generally being unfriendly because, quite frankly, society makes us scared about talking to people we don't already know. There are also things which complicate relationships and friendships, not only physical restrictions, such as having free time and distance, but also psychological ones - the harry met sally scenario, jealousy, I could go on.

I think its just a case of sucking it up, and going out there, finding someone you like and say "Hi, how you doing?" (in the least Joey from friends way). Once you break the ice, you can either go forward or you can leave it. Its all about confidence.
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Its all about confidence.

Picturing Gok Wan
  • Options
    It also helps when you realize you are not entitled to a partner. I know it sounds outlandish, but I have the feeling a lot of people think they "deserve" a girl-/boyfriend, because they are
    - nice
    - good looking
    - like long walks at the beach
    - Have been single for x years (which is z years longer than my best friend, who frequently has a partner)

Nobody gives a shit.

For me a relationship is a bonus. When I am doing good in live, I can indulge myself in a relationship to top it off. I don't even moan anymore, because as long as I don't start doing great stuff and get my life rolling in a way that I have nothing to bitch about I have other problems than not having a girlfriend. And getting a girlfriend doesn't make my life magically better.
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Picturing Gok Wan

I'm not sure how to feel about that :/
  • Options
    Some people do have a strange sense of entitlement to a boyfriend/girlfriend, there was this guy in my halls who was constantly complaining he didn't have a girlfriend. We would constantly invite him out with us and he would say no, prefering to stay in. It was as though he was expecting a girlfriend to fall from the sky or something.

Romantic relationships are different, there are loads more factors but I don't think it should have to be that much of a struggle to make platonic friends. I think you can be happy without a relationship but I don't think you can be happy without friends. It does take time to find and make friends and after leaving education you do have to put in more effort but if after a year or more of struggling and getting nowhere with making friends I think its time to accept that you're on to a loser.

If you don't feel like you are connecting with people then maybe its time to look at how you interact with people, however it could also be that you are living in the wrong place with the wrong people.