Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Knitting folk!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guysss

I know lots of you knit :D

I've just started up again as a distraction but I'm not very good! I can't start things, or finish them, pretty much just the bit in between, and no fancy stuff. So at the moment knitting a scarf :razz:

It's my birthday coming up and I'm a bit stuck on stuff to ask for, so I thought I'd ask for some sort of knitting book. (The basics). Any recommendations? Or is is better to use stuff on the net? To be honest, I doubt I'd want to knit clothes, (just scarves, and maybe more fancy scarves) but how hard is it to make like little animals or something?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    (I'd really like to be able to knit my boyfriend a penguin :P)
    I found the book 'Stitch and Bitch' by Debbie Stoller to be really good for the basics and it's quite funny too. It has a variety of basic patterns and talks you through the techniques. It is the first knitting book I got, the one I learnt the basics from.

To knit a penguin there is a cute pattern in the book 'Knitted Toys' by Fiona McTague at skill level 1. I knit the duck from this book and ity was fairly easy. Alternatively do a search on www.ravelry.com (if you aren't on this website already it's amazing for knitters!) and lots of patterns will come up.

I'm really glad you are knitting, I have found it really helpful for my mental health.
    Thanks!

I've joined up to Ravelry (yellowseahorse is my name) and I found this chap! http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/penguin-19

It looks pretty hard, and I have no idea what anything means, but it is something to work towards :)

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm well excited now :D
    Do you know that one you found is crocheted not knitted? But there are plenty of knitted ones on there too. I'm R-girl on Ravelry.
    Theres a whole load of us on ravelry from here.

I'm probably twisted_trinity on ravely, i tend to only use it for pattern finding.

I love the stitch and bitch books, but the best book I've ever found for learning techniques is this one

Check out your LYS (local yarn store), most have drop in groups and will be full of great advice!!

Good luck!
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Do you know that one you found is crocheted not knitted? But there are plenty of knitted ones on there too. I'm R-girl on Ravelry.

Haha fail. Ok then :P
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Theres a whole load of us on ravelry from here.

I'm probably twisted_trinity on ravely, i tend to only use it for pattern finding.

I love the stitch and bitch books, but the best book I've ever found for learning techniques is this one

Check out your LYS (local yarn store), most have drop in groups and will be full of great advice!!

Good luck!

I taught myself to knit from the Reader's Digest Encyclopaedia of Knitting, and learnt more from the Stitch and Bitch books, but I think the easiest way nowadays is to learn from videos. There are loads on YouTube, or try knittinghelp.com. It's not always clear from pictures in books what's going on - learning from videos is almost as good as learning from a real person. Plus it's free!

I was going to tell you who I was on Rav, and to join the thesite group, but I see you have already done both! :D
    Thanks!

Indeed, RG invited me to the group and I may have recognised your name ;)
    Knitty Gritty by Aneeta Patel; look her up on Amazon. She's taught loads of my friends to knit and her written instructions are fabby.

Also, knittinghelp.com for free videos.