Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New boyfriend Vs. The Dad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am a daddy's girl, and I know it. He knows it. And so does my bf. Only issue is my dad Has to meet him before he let's us hang out next week.

Me and my bf have been seeing each other for two weeks. I really like him. Only thing is he looks a bit.... Alternative? He has tattoos and ear plugs. My dad is really clean cut and he won't be too happy about this relationship.... Even though I'm not exactly a holister clone. Total opposite in fact.

Other thing is that he doesn't have a "proper" job. He skates for a living. So yeah...,

Any idea how I can get them to interact without my dad killing him....

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This situation unfortunatly depends on 3 factors - how old you are, if you still live at home (which I'm assuming you are), and how much you really care about your fathers opinion vs how much you really like this guy.

If you are under 18 and live at home, then asides getting your boyfriend to scrub up well, wear a shirt and present himself as an athlete, which technically he is (I have no issues with people who skate for a living, hell I know people who have a 30k+ salaries from doing extreme sports for everything from adverts to international competitions, if its something you're good at then why the hell not!), theres not a lot you can do. Find some common ground - football, TV programs, something they could both talk about.

If you're over 18, you've got a lot more bargining room, do the same as above, but if your dad still doesn't like him, then theres not a lot he can do about it.

If you're over 18 & you've left home, then although i'm sure you'd like them to get along, its none of your dad's business if he doesn't like him. You maybe a daddy's girl, but you are also you're own person. By all means take his opinion into account, but don't let it control your life.