Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Problems with sister

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Title says it all really. I've noticed that lately me and my sister aren't getting along. (sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

She is a year older than me but she still talks down to me. For instance if I tell her about the problems I have with a friend then she'll say "Oh, but you still hang around with him, your being two-faced." but then she does the same thing with her friends, she'll slag one person off but then an hour later the friend will come round and everything will be grand.

Another thing that irritates me is that she thinks she can tell me what to do but then if I tell her to do something like advising her on saving money so she can stop borrowing from our dad (he budgets and pays all the bills and makes less than she does, she makes no effort I don't think its fair on him.) I'm automatically being a dick and I don't know anything because I'm younger. :rolleyes:

The final thing is that we have differences of opinion when it comes to weed. I started smoking six months ago to cope with some things. She has been smoking it for 12 years. I keep it hidden as best I can but sometimes she comes home and says "Oh, I smell weed!" and "Have you been smoking again?!". She smokes it openly, with friends in her room and makes no effort to hide her stuff.

I can see where shes coming from because she care but I do like it and I don't want to stop just yet. I just get tired of her slating me for things she does as well.

Any advice on how to deal with it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ignore her. Some people are just immature and unreasonable with their siblings. It's the form of ignorance they cannot see in themselves. Just don't bother with her. Next time she berates you, tell her to tell it to someone who cares.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if shes been smoking for 12 years, how old does that make you both??? Might be worth looking into moving out
  • *Holly**Holly* Deactivated Posts: 140 Helping Hand
    Hi akuma

Relationships between siblings can be complex things and the tensions are usually always made worse when you’re all still living together.

It sounds like you’re getting increasingly irritated with your sister’s maybe hypocritical behaviour? Does that sound right? It might be worth talking to her about how you feel. This article Siblings survival guide offers some good advice on how to do this in a constructive way.

You also mention that you’ve started smoking cannabis to “help cope with some things”. Do you feel like telling us what these things are? You’re always free to talk here if you need to unload. Your sister, though she smokes it herself, is right to have concerns. Cannabis is a drug – so there is bound to be negative effects as well as good ones. It might be worth reading TheSite article Cannabis and your health so you’re clued up on what effect the drug can have. That way you’ll be a bit more informed to make a decision for yourself.

Finally – sometimes siblings can just be bloody annoying more than anything. If all you need is a good old rant – this is the place to do it. I bet lots of people share your frustration.

Take care

Holly