Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

up for hire live

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't actually think that you've argued for anything that I haven't argued for: "re-educating" people who scrounge all day is important. Teaching them that doing nothing is not an option is right and proper; people who try and get away with doing nothing should get nothing.

I don't agree with the current system- let ATOS Origin fail everyone and see who appeals- but that doesn't mean I don't agree with the (alleged) policy aim behind it. People should be encouraged to work. For some that involves giving them more support, or allowing them to return to work on a part-time basis. For some that means cracking the whip and getting them to move their arses. As I say, we need to use both the carrot and the stick: for all those that want to work and genuinely cannot, there are plenty more people who are quite happy bumming around getting something for nothing.

I have no problem with people who are trying to get better- people who are trying to study, or who are learning new skills through volunteering to get back into the workplace. They should get all the support and encouragement they need. For those that aren't, I really don't see the issue with kicking them firmly up the arse.
    Another vaguely related article:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/oct/30/unpaid-interns-charity-sector

Work for free - or not at all.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Another vaguely related article:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/oct/30/unpaid-interns-charity-sector

Work for free - or not at all.

that's awful what they try to get away with, irony with the anti slavery charity at the end. weird
    Though that's the not for profit NGO sector which doesn't actually make any money, and because of the supply / demand (lots of people want to work in the sector) its a bigger problem.

I wonder if youthnet pays its interns? Just out of curiosity, because they're in the same sector.

But even in money making sectors you don't necessarily get paid - if you can get the internship in the first place. I have asked at some small-time accountants in the nearby area if they'd be willing to have me for work experience where I'd work for free - they simply said they have nowhere to fit me in.

It's the flipside that for companies it's not costless to take on an intern, there is the cost of supervising them in time and also the opportunity cost of a desk / computer being used by an intern that could have been used by trained staff. It's not a huge deal but in smaller companies I can see how having an extra person to keep an eye on could be a hassle.

Still, it is horrible for young people right now. I don't like the tone of shows like up for hire that basically seem to echo a sentiment a lot of people have right now - if you don't have a job its because you're not trying hard enough or your standards are too high.
    Just got myself an unpaid job. Woop.

TY for economy, previous generation :heart:
    Link works for me...

http://goo.gl/vZ3CY incase the forum is breaking the link
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Just got myself an unpaid job. Woop.

TY for economy, previous generation :heart: