Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Archive profession

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey!:yippe:

Just wondered if there is anyone on here who is either volunteering with a view to doing an archival training course or already qualified as an archivist? Is anyone currently on any of the courses? If so hows it going and where are you?

Would be good to know if anyone is:wave:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you are at uni, or a recent graduate, there are some trainee librarian and archivist programs which lead to an MA. I looked into it, but I couldn't do it for some reason. I can't remember the name (begins with a C and its an acronym), but i'll post it up if I can find it again.
    Hey that is really cool. Shame you couldnt do the course - what was the reason why not of you dont mind me asking?

What did you choose to go into instead - anything of a related field?

I should say at this point that I am currently gaining my pre-course experience in archives and records management. I am loving it so far.

I volunteer at 2 different places (one is an actual county archives) where I live but due to anonymity on here id prefer not to say exactly where.

I am looking to do a diploma in archives and records management starting next september as I already have an MA. My preference would be to do the UCL course but I am considering U o Liverpool as my second choice.
    It didn't allow me to do the kind of disertation that I wanted to. I've decided to retrain as a make-up artist for a year and then look at my options next year. I want to do an MA and then PhD in musicology, but I'm not sure where to do it and what my options are going to be regarding paying for it. I really enjoyed the research part of my degree, so thats why I wanted to look into librarianship.