Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

cuts and swimming

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my friends are going swimming and they've asked me along too. They've picked a date they know i can do so no chance of bailing out with the "i've got plans" excuse. It's just there's going to be so many people there and my cuts and scars are so noticeable... I know there'll be some comments from freinds, and they'll ask why... but i don't want to tell them, it's not that i don't want them knowing persay, it's just that i can' face telling them. Only my best friend knows. Any advice? sorry bit of a long-winded rant :P x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Could you wear a wetsuit type thing? You can get long sleeved tops and bottoms separately if you don't want a whole wet suit.
    You could just say you aren't comfortable showing your body in front of so many people if they ask why you're wearing it, I'm sure they'll understand that :)
    Just remember having cuts and scars is nothing to be ashamed about. So, you have been through a part of your life that has taken a 'psychological' toll on you. So what? We all display scars in different ways. The important thing is that you have come out the other side and have learnt from life's lessons, like a warrior. When people see my scars, I just tell them that there isn't anything to tell and move on.
    yeah even if they do ask. you aren'obliged to tell them anything you feel uncomfortable about.
    thanks guys, some of the cuts are pretty fresh though, is it safe to go swimming with fresh cuts?
    I guess it depends on how deep and fresh they are. As they water will contain chlorine it may sting a little and if they are bleeding I wouldn't go as no one wants to go in a swimming pool someone has bled in!

If you really have to get out of swimming can you say it's your time of the month? No one will check that!

Also, maybe if you think like this: do you study in detail everyone at the swimming pools (including your friends) arms, legs etc? Probably not. So doubt people will be staring at yours even if it seems like it. Something to think about? I know it's easier to say than do though!
    Thanks guys, they are not bleeding no just weeping, but that'll soon stop. Might use the time of the month excuse, thanks xx