Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Depressed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm really depressed. I had a virus over the last week that meant I had to stay home most of the time and it has really left me feeling very down. We were meant to be going to a friend's birthday party this evening but I'm at home as I'm too depressed to go. I don't know how to get out of this.

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Could you force yourself to go out and get some fresh air? Or call a few friends over?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I did go out earlier today to my voluntary work but I found it really hard. I went pretty late (3.30pm) and then didn't get much done and found it hard to talk to people. I thought I'd feel better today than yesterday if I went out and that my mood would lift but instead I just felt rubbish out.

It's a bit late to get any friends over now but I think I might try to see friends more at home than out.
    I have a happy box for days like that.

Think of a list of objects that make you happy (things you can put in a box), a list of places that make you happy, a list of things that you can do that make you happy and a list of people you can call when you're down that will cheer you up a bit. If you can't think of any of them now, get someone who knows you well to help. Put them all in a shoe box sized box. Decorate inside and out and there you have one happy box.

For instance -

My happy box is covered in pink faux fur and has pink felt on the inside.

I have a mini pot of playdough in it, some photos of fun times I've had with friends, a tiny bar of dark chocolate, a CD with happy songs on it, something nice to put in the bath, some balsam tissues, bottle of lavender oil... so you get an idea of what kind of stuff.

Might not be an easy thing to do now, but making something (or more importantly acheiving something) might make you feel better, even if its a batch of great cookies or a really nice soup.

Be nice to yourself but give yourself a little push to do something, even if you go for a long walk in the park in search for conkers and pretty leaves. If you are finding it really hard, get someone to help you by going along with you.

Hope you're feeling a bit more upbeat soon!
    Thanks Miss Riot. I will try that box idea.

I went for a walk in the park looking for conkers last Saturday and did feel better afterwards (we didn't find any conkers though, think we are too late for them), so maybe I will be able to get Randomboy to come to the park again tomorrow.

Just got to get through the next few hours.
    Called the Samaritans, they were nice. I've had lots of gin that was nice too. Sitting in front of my SAD light box on the off chance it helps even though you are meant to use it in the day not the night.
    *hug*

How are you feeling today?
    I find baking really helps, as well.

I'm forcing myself to go out to the canals today in the hope that will cheer me up.
    Sometimes I wish I could bake, would cheer me up a bit :(
    RG: i hope you are feeling even the slightest bit better this morning *hug*
    dif you manage to get some sleep?

G-raffe: baking can be as hard or as simple as you choose... you could go for the three tierd, iced with figures cake; or you could go for good old chocolte cornflake cake! the latter needs only chocolate and cornflakes..mmm
    I'm okay today. In pain as I self harmed a lot last night so living with the consequences now. I stayed up until 4am last night so have slept most of today. A bit hung over too now but not too bad.

Thanks for your replies everyone.
    Can't sleep :(
    I called my new therapist and left a message on her answerphone. Last time I saw her (initial appointment) she wasn't sure if she was going to be able to treat me anyway due to a possible conflict of interest type issue and she was meant to get back to me within a week. But that was nearly three weeks ago and I've not heard anything at all from her. Unless she's been ill or something over the whole time I don't think it's very professional not to call when you say you will.
    I just want to say congratulations on calling Samaritans, that is a very big step to take!! I hope you managed to get some sleep in the end. How are your cuts doing? Is their other way's you can contact your therapist, or find out why she has not got back to you? *Big Hugs* *hug*
    I'm a bit rubbish at advice at the moment, but I wanted to send you some *hug*'s
    I think you should call your new therapist if you can, she doesn't sound very good though so it might be better for you in the long run to request a different person.
    I hope things get easier soon, try and stay positive if you can... but I know how difficult that can be :heart:
    **Angel** wrote: »
    I just want to say congratulations on calling Samaritans, that is a very big step to take!! I hope you managed to get some sleep in the end. How are your cuts doing? Is their other way's you can contact your therapist, or find out why she has not got back to you? *Big Hugs* *hug*
    Thanks Angel. My cuts are mostly healing. I've got her email address too so if she doesn't call soon I will try emailing. :)
    I'm a bit rubbish at advice at the moment, but I wanted to send you some *hug*'s
    I think you should call your new therapist if you can, she doesn't sound very good though so it might be better for you in the long run to request a different person.
    I hope things get easier soon, try and stay positive if you can... but I know how difficult that can be :heart:

Thank you. :)
    I'm fucked. It's gonna be a long night.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey RandomGirl,

How are you feeling today? Hopefully you feel better after last night?
    big *hug*

LauraO
    I'm better than I was last night thank you. I went out for a bit today.

I find nights more difficult though so I'll see how it goes tonight.

I went to the doctor earlier today and she was talking about me going back in hospital but I want to avoid that if I can.
    It's this time of night that's the hardest.
    I hope you're okay hun, is there anyone you can phone at night when you're feeling low?
    I have called the Samaritans a couple of times before.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I have called the Samaritans a couple of times before.

Has it helped calling them?

Is their anyone you can stay over with at night or something?
    This should be why is it so is there some thing wrong with you. the thing where you don't want to go thats thing is the key to cast you from your depress. you should to go
    **Angel** wrote: »
    Has it helped calling them?

Is their anyone you can stay over with at night or something?

Yes it's okay calling them. A bit weird though.

Randomboy often stays over so that is good.
    Was in bed til gone 6pm tonight. Up now though.
    I feel lonely even when I with people.
    I hope you managed to get some more sleep *hug* I am sorry to hear you are struggling are you seeing a therapist? Or do you have someone to talk to, ofline face 2 face? It looks like you are going through a lot, and I am very sorry, we are here for you *hug*
    I'm between therapists for various reasons. Going to get a new one soon though.

I was thinking of going to see the Samaritans face-to-face but feel a bit nervous about it. Also it means going into town and I'm not dressed yet.
    Hey Randomgirl :heart:

How did things pan out for you today. Did you decide to head into town in the end?

I just want to repeat what others have said here. Your not alone. Keep posting! :heart:

I'm sure you've probably seen the webpage, but just in case you haven't or for anyone else that might be interested, The Samaritans have some advice and guidance on what you can expect from them when you go to use the service Face 2 Face. You can also find out what services your local branch offers.

Check it out.

http://www.samaritans.org/talk_to_someone/visit_your_local_branch.aspx

Sending some hugs your way tonight. *hug**hug*