Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

swimming

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
ok so i've been a member of an expensive gym for the past year. not used it that much and am over a stone heavier than this time last year. it has a swimming pool which is mostly what i have used, but really that is more of a relaxing treat for me as i dont swim fast, just more crawl up and down the lanes for around an hour, just chilling.

to those of you who know about exercise, does this count as exercise? i dont count it as its more relaxing than anything - but is it doing me more good than i think?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes it is still good exercise :)
    It's exercise, and better than nothing, but if you're not getting your heart rate up then it won't be making much difference.

If you want to make more of a difference, try doing one length of crawl for every 3-4 of breaststroke. Getting your heart rate up is key in any cardiovascular exercise, if you're heart rate isn't up then you're not trying hard enough.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Bear in mind swimming lowers you temperature and will make you hungry.
    Swimming can be excellent exercise but you still have to burn more calories than you consume to lose the weight.
    Weekender Offender 
    It's still exercise, but as Skive said, like all exercise, it's useless unless you're burning the calories you've eaten in that day or they're converted to fat. It doesn't really matter that much if you swim fast or not, because you can walk 1 mile and run one mile but you still burn the same amount of calories. Only difference is you rise your heart rate. Increasing your heart rate in exercise in a moderation will be healhier for your heart - just not too much.
    I just wanted to ask you if you could expand on why you are doing exercise? It might seem obvious but people do it for different reasons. It might be to chill out, destress, lose weight, maintain weight, improve body shape, social aspects, something to do, because you enjoy doing it, improve heart and lungs, because your doctor told you to etc etc.

If you are trying to lose weight then swimming, even gentle swimming, is good exercise, especially if you are doing it for as long as an hour. I lost weight last year and swimming really helped (as well as diet).
    when i do exercise (like spinning, aerobics, aquaaerobics) im doing it to lose weight and get fitter.

when i swim it is mainly just a chill out thing but i just wondered if it counted really without me realising it.
    when i do exercise (like spinning, aerobics, aquaaerobics) im doing it to lose weight and get fitter.

when i swim it is mainly just a chill out thing but i just wondered if it counted really without me realising it.

Depends on your speed. Everything you do burns calories, but some things burn more calories than others.

Sometimes I do aqua aerobics, the day after a harder work out (for example, kettlebells). It's not very good for burning calories, but it's great to release stress, very low impact and better than sitting at home.*

**Note: Unless you really need to rest, rest... But like... Ya know, sometimes you ache, but still wanna do summat cardio :p
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    because you can walk 1 mile and run one mile but you still burn the same amount of calories.

Really? ETA - pretty interesting to read this article - http://walking.about.com/od/calorie1/a/calorieswalkrun.htm
    Per mile yeah it is likely to be the same, for the same time spent you would burn more running.
    The swimming is one of the best exercise for our health...
    Swimming is the best exercise and i like to do swimming and the best thing of swimming is that it is good for muscles and also makes you strong.
    Yeah i also like swimming and i almost watch the swimming championship matches so but i do not know how to swim and i severally tried to swim but i failed and i was near about to drowned.

Strategy Games
    one a lot of my friends and i use for away messages while we're at practice is "busy singing songs in my head on the long sets and yelling at my lungs to shut up on the sprints..bbl" or just "AWAY: talking to myself and singing songs in my head to the beat of the water" things like that amuse us : )

also a good quotes are
    "swimming - the sport where you go from point A to point A and bust your .. uhh .. butt to get there"
    "I'll swim through walls for my coaches, I have the X-rays to prove it"
    "My favorite smell? Sweat and chlorine"
    "chlorine - the breakfast of wannabees, chlorinated sweat - the breakfast of champions"
    "when you can't swim faster, give up; when you can't hold your breath any longer, breath; when your muscles cramp up, stop; when your too tired to go on, take a break; sorry you're not a swimmer."
    "2 so the person behind me knows what place they're comming in" - Goldfish (Guardian)
    "swim like no ones watching, then go talk to your coach"
    "i swim for that little 5 year old girl who jumped in the water on her first day of practice and forgot to bring her heart back out with her afterwards"
    "swimming:
    no time outs
    no replacements
    no half time
    no injurie stops
    no red flags
    no over time
    IT'S NOW OR NEVER"
    "i swim in it i don't walk on it"
    "iplayswimming"
    "it's MY time"
    "life without swimming? am i in hell?"
    "swimmer's paradise, taking your cap off after a hard practice and going under"
    "failure's not an option"
    "i've swam with a broken foot, fractured spine, asthma, broken fingers from the lane lines, concussions from flip turns, after i passed out and fell from the block, while i had mono, while you sat on the side line of your football game with a sprained ankle..who's the wimp now?" -- well that one's personal experience..but it's a team joke.
    yupp, most of those are really stupid, but we enjoy them, hope some help..:shocking:

play online strategy games