Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

SAD light boxes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone use one?

I got one today. I'm finding it very bright! Not sure if I like it, maybe it takes a bit of getting used to.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there,

They definitely do take a bit of getting used to - they can be very bright at first - but your eyes do adjust as you continue using them. Remember, you don't need to stare right into it for it to be effective - as long as the light can get into your eyes that is the main thing (i.e - don't wear sunglasses!). So you can knit next to it for example :) You only need it on for a couple of hours or so a day as well - maybe you could build up if you are finding it weird at first.

I don't know what type you are using - but there's a good lot of info on the Lumie website which would probably apply to most types of SAD light.

Let me know how you get on?
    My housemate just installed a daylight bulb in the bathroom. Was about £15 I think.

It's great when I have baths. :) It is intense but because I can just chill out there for 40 minutes to an hour I get a nice dose of bright light.
    If you use it for 30 mins - 1 hr around dusk/dawn, I find it helps the most.

Like Fostress said, you do get used to the intensity!
    I'm getting used to it now, actually quite like it. I used it in the middle of the night last night which I'm sure you aren't supposed to do though. Using it now too.
    i like the idea of these, especially the ones that help you wake up. where did you get yours rg? was it expensive? might put it on my crimbo list
    I got this one:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/sad-light-box-226759?c=found&u=p2%202010%20hot&t=sad%20light&gclid=cjue6p6uhkwcfutb4qodgxankg

It was £39.99. It's a big one and seems to be good. I'm sat with it on now.

I think the ones that help you wake up are different though, not as bright maybe? But I might be wrong.

The website that Fostress posted is good for lots of info although the ones they sell on there are pretty pricey. There is also a good advice sheet on the mind website. Basically there are some products out there that aren't really bright enough but they are marketed as if they help SAD so you need to get one that is at least 2,500 lux bright. Mine is 10,000 lux. Apparently day light light bulbs aren't effective at treating SAD either although they are marketed as if they are. You need to get pretty close to the light box too so think about where you will use it. I prop mine up on the arm of the sofa and sit on the sofa at a very close distance. Good luck :)
    You can buy the bulbs inexpensively so its just buying it as a complete 'package' that's expensive. if you found a lamp with a diffuser fitted and got a daylight bulb it would do the trick. the prices ive seen for them as complete units are quite pricey. edit RG's link isn't expensive so there we go ^_^
    you should to carry on your work....just chill.:shocking: