Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Getting a job at 16 while still at school

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello all, having just turned 16 I'm looking to get my first job but have no idea where to start. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to where I can go try and get one please?

Comments

• Options
    There's other useful articles on here too, look in the "work and study" section. There are things about getting a job, writing a CV etc.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, has given me some good ideas on where I can work :). There is a Gooutdoors near my house, does anybody know if they employ 16 year olds?
  • Options
    If they've got any job vacancies then go in with your CV and ask. Quite a few of my friends who've just left school and are still 16 are working in shops now, and some are working in places like Dominos and chip shops. It's just about finding somewhere that's got job vacancies!
    Have you got any qualifications though? Since you're still at school I'm guessing you haven't got GCSE's or anything yet, it might be quite hard to find a job if you don't have any qualifications as a lot of people are applying for very few jobs. It might be worth doing some volunteer work to bump up your CV a bit :)
  • Options
    Only a GCSE in French at the moment :razz: ,I'll definitely pop into some local stores tomorrow though!
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: rbanwait,

Have you had any luck finding a shop that is recruiting yet?

Here's the link to the section that Broken-Angel spoke about, there is lots of useful information in there about job hunting, application forms, CVs etc. that might help you on your way :)http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/gettingajob

This is a good time to look for retail work as lots of shops recruit more people in the run up to Christmas. Have you thought about applying for one of the large supermarkets? There is an article about Christmas jobs which maybe helpful too. The details about minimum wage maybe a little out of date, so check out this article on TheSite for the exact numbers.

Good luck, hope you find something soon :thumb:
    LauraO