Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

TheSite.org Book Club: Nominations for November's book.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hello kids!

So I'm doing this early because I WILL forget tomorrow. Nominations are going to work like so:

1. Anybody can nominate a book.
2. Books nominated have to be fiction, but there are no other restrictions. You can go for whatever genre you like, whatever time period, whichever author.
3. Try not to pick anything too hefty. While some of us could probably get through War and Peace in a month, others aren't so fast.
4. Nominations in the below example format, please:

Book: Snuff by Terry Pratchett|Kindle Edition

Synopsis: It is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds his first corpse.

And Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe. There are many, many bodies and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and out of his mind, but never out of guile. Where there is a crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase and there must be a punishment.

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.

But not quite all...
From Amazon

Reason for Nomination: Any reason you like can go here. The above is an example (I'm not nominating because I'm doing the first review of the October book), but feel free to nominate it!

5. As I did above, if there is a Kindle/e-reader edition, put a separate link to that, please (On Amazon, there is a "Start reading [book] on your Kindle..." link under the image).

Commence nominations! Poll will be put up on Wednesday evening with all nominations.

Franki
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eat-Pray-Love-Womans-Everything/dp/0747585660/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318661914&sr=1-1

cos im reading it now and really loving it. was recommended by 2 people to me
    ooo i nominate that too coz i know that one is definately at the library, i saw it when i was in there.
    Any more before I put the poll up? If not, I'll chuck in a suggestion of my own :)
    The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell.

Synopsis: Set in the eighteenth century on a man-made island outside Nagasaki (the Dutch trading post of Dejima), The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet follows the fortunes of a young clerk arriving to serve five years under the Dutch East India Company. The novel follows the people he meets through their lives over twenty years, and is a well-researched insight into early European contact with Japan.

Short-listed for the Man Booker Prize in 2011.

(By me)

Reason for Nomination: The writing is extraordinarily vivid, and the subject-matter unusual. A good foil to One Day.

(I would nominate the new Pratchett, but it's only just out in hardback)
    Dissolution by CJ Sansom

Synopsis: Set in the 1520s during the early English Reformation and the dissolution of the monasteries, this is a brilliant historical murder-mystery. Matthew Shardlake is a lawyer in London with connections to Henry VIII's favourite, Thomas Cromwell. He is called upon to investigate the murder in a Sussex monastery of Cromwell's investigator.

The novel brilliantly evokes not only the reality of live in the sixteenth century, but also brings to life the social consequences of the decisions made in the early years of the Church of England - political decisions that still impact how our society is constructed today.

Reason for recommendation: I couldn't put it down! After reading this, I read the next three books in the series within a week; history aside, it's a brilliant murder-mystery.
    Collins Complete Plumbing and Heating

Synopsis: The definitive, easy-to-follow guide to plumbing and heating repairs in your home.

Reasons for Recommendation:
    1. It's not chick-lit.
    2. It's definitely not chick-lit.
    3. I need to read it
    4. It's not available in a look-at-me-and-how-creepy-I-can-be-over-my-electronic-fashion-accessory, Kindle Edition (second only to the creepiness of the Apple product creepos).