Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Londoners! Help?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm travelling to Derby and back by myself next week... I live down south, it's about 4hours on the train I think.

I can deal with getting to London Victoria, but then I have to get to St. Pancras. I'm so confused about the whole St. Pancras/kings cross thing? On national rail it says it takes 30mins to get from Victoria to Pancras... but 11mins to get to kings cross... aren't they the same place?
I'm really confused about what underground train to get on and what station I'm aiming to go to, kings cross or St. Pancras? Help?!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    King's Cross and St. Pancras share and underground station, so just get the Victoria Line and then follow the signs to Kings Cross trains :)
    Thank you! :) Does every tube stop at every stop on the line? So if I just get on the Victoria line will it defo stop at Kings cross?
    yes as long as you get the one going in the right direction it will stop there.
    I found out what platform it is so hopefully I will end up in the right place! Thanks guys :)
    the main mistake I make with the tube is getting caught in a day dream and forgetting to get off at my stop! So as long as you pay attention and don't forget your stop you should be fine :)
    And if you go wrong on the tube (i.e. start going in the wrong direction), it's easy to put right so don't panic!
    I'm quite worried about having a panic attack or something... I think I'm going to end up staying in London Vic for a while mustering up the courage to get on the tube! I'm sure I'll get to where I'm supposed to be eventually :) It's 4 stops on the tube... get off on the 5th. I can deal with that, hopefully!
    well if you do miss your stop, don't panic. Get off at the next one, find the platform for the same line but going in the opposite direction and then you will get back to the correct one :)

Also, the Kings Cross/ St Pancreas stop always seems to empty out half the train. Whilst you shouldn't just rely on everyone getting off, it is probably a good indicator. And there is sometimes an electronic voice telling you what the next station is.

You will be fine :)
    well if you do miss your stop, don't panic. Get off at the next one, find the platform for the same line but going in the opposite direction and then you will get back to the correct one :)

Also, the Kings Cross/ St Pancreas stop always seems to empty out half the train. Whilst you shouldn't just rely on everyone getting off, it is probably a good indicator. And there is sometimes an electronic voice telling you what the next station is.

You will be fine :)

All of this :).

The best thing to do is to not panic. The fact that you've planned your route in advance is a good start. Are you travelling on a weekend? Because if yes you might want to check that there isn't engineering on the Victoria line (it's usually ok, but you never know with TfL). You can do that at www.tfl.gov.uk. You might also want to carry a print out of the map with you.

KGX/St Pancras is an odd underground station, but don't panic there either. If you end up at King's Cross, go out of the front doors (opposite the departure board), turn right, and then St Pancras is literally right in front of you.
    Oh god... it's closed next Saturday... thanks for that Franki, I'll have to find some other way to get there :)
    This is really complicated :( I have to get from Victoria at Kings cross without using the Victoria line... I get into Victoria at 11:58 on Saturday the 22nd, can someone please help me figure out how to get to Kings cross? :heart:
    Firstly, stop panicking.

You are actually fortunate because, for a change, the District Line is (mostly) in service next weekend. So what you need to do is take that one (green) west to South Kensington (which is nice and small iirc - no getting lost) and then take the Piccadilly Line (dark blue) north, and that will take you to KGX. Honestly, the most confusing part will be finding your way out of KGX/St Pancras underground, but there are plenty guards around to help you.
    Thank you so much!
    I wish I could stop panicking, but honestly I have a panic attack in the supermarket so this is like major..
    So it's Victoria to South kensington, then South kensington to Kings cross? I can deal with that, at least I don't have to get a bus :)
    Thank you so much!
    I wish I could stop panicking, but honestly I have a panic attack in the supermarket so this is like major..
    So it's Victoria to South kensington, then South kensington to Kings cross? I can deal with that, at least I don't have to get a bus :)

Yup, exactly that :)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    If you weren't in a rush you could go the long way round on the Circle Line but the way Franki has suggested is a lot quicker and not at all complicated. Don't panic, its an easy journey.
    Thanks JsT, I'm sure I'll be okay in the end.. it's just a bit scary thinking about all the things that could go wrong!
    Thanks JsT, I'm sure I'll be okay in the end.. it's just a bit scary thinking about all the things that could go wrong!

Franki is totally right. The most important thing is to give yourself lots of time. Did you notice that on journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk you can check the timings for the day and time you're travelling? That can be really helpful.

There is a bus, if you'd rather, but it takes a long time. The 73 from Victoria runs to right outside King's Cross mainline.

Also, at any time, you can always find a member of TfL staff to help. If you urgently need assistance, there are call buttons on the platform, otherwise you can head to an exit to find someone.
    I made it :) on my phone so can't really write much, but i made it here on time yesterday. A few problems but nothing major. Thanks guys :)