Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Global Women's Rights

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's estimated that 90% of women in Afghanistan experience domestic violence. Take Aisha for example, whose nose and ears were cut off after attempting to flee a marriage which she was forced in to at sixteen. In many countries, rape is seen as a weapon of war, or so frequent in some societies that a device called the Rapex, which hooks on to a man's penis and can only be removed by a hospital, has been invented. Women also disproportionately are affected by poverty, partly due to lack of education, discrimination, employment, lack of control of assets... In fact, Unifem estimate women could make up 70% of the world's poorest....

I studied human rights for my degree with a slant gender in a few of my essays and found that often, people are afraid to discuss gender within some cultures because of fear of imposing some kind of cultural imperialism. I guess it's kind of similar to when Peter Tatchell has gotten accusations of racism or antisemitism for criticising people's attitude towards homosexuality...

Meh... I could probably write a lot here, as I did my dissertation on this topic and apologies if this isn't at all articulate. My point is that people often seem to be afraid of touching the gender issue globally, but also in communities in the UK (there's an awesome book about Southall Black Sisters and another about Is Multiculturalism Bad for Women). However, I came across an article this morning which offered an approach to gender equality I'd not seen in mainstream press...

Ruth Sunderland is looking at economic arguments for global women's equality.
The message is clear: countries that deny fair opportunities to women are hampering their potential for development and growth. The struggles of a female subsistence farmer in Africa seem remote from our lives here in the UK, but empowering women in the developing world is in our interest. Societies where women are treated well are more likely to be peaceful and prosperous and, as growth slows in mature markets such as the UK, female consumers could play an increasing role in a new global middle class, which will open up opportunities for businesses here to sell their goods and services.

What do people think of it?

Comments

• Options
    A very interesting correlation between womens rights and the stability of a country, I think theres a lot of merit in that argument.
  • Options
    Global women's rights? As in, universal laws? I thought y'all were primarily non-interventionist/anti-colonial? I'm not really sure I favor global laws that dictate policy in sovereign nations, regardless of good intent. 'Tis kind of a slippery slope.

But yes, I do agree that it's a serious problem. Incest and underage marriages are also big problems in Islamic countries. It's just a part of their culture though. Not saying I think it's okay, but it's not like the countries that would benefit from such policies are going to abide by such laws, so it's pretty much going to be a law against nations already doing the right thing.
  • Options
    I think it's also dangerous to take an "it's their culture, they'll change it if they want to" attitude. Often what we're actually talking about is a violent and oppressive group imposing their particular dogma onto society. These groups don't have popular support, but people fear the consequences of rebelling against them, on a personal level, and in terms of the infrastructure of the country. Fear of instability is often enough to keep these oppressive regimes in power, despite having very little popular support. Even in a democratic country like Pakistan, you'll get democratically elected politicians fearing for their life for daring to even suggest that the blasphemy law is repealed, for example. What you're often talking about is the tyranny of a minority, rather than the majority imposing their will on a vulnerable minority. Even when these groups aren't in charge, politicians often act in a way that will appease them, and so you end up with policies that are more extreme than most people are comfortable with.

I agree that it's up to the people in the country to change their own country, but it's certainly up to the West to help them as much as possible. What we often see is that the West places stability above all else in these places, in order to keep the oil and gas flowing.

On the main topic, access to birth control, access to education for women and the right for women to divorce are the three biggest things you can do to ensure that a country becomes developed.
  • Options
    Oh, I agree that cultural relativism is bullshit. But the practicality of us doing such especially with all the problems we're facing ourselves right now, is not very great.
  • Options
    On the main topic, access to birth control, access to education for women and the right for women to divorce are the three biggest things you can do to ensure that a country becomes developed.

Or the other way round - once a country becomes developed these things follow as wealth liberates (eg access to birth control isn't really relevant to poor people who want big families to provide for them in their old age, divorce becomes easier for women when there is enough wealth to support women and children seperate from the husband), generally women's rights follow economics not the other way round.
  • Options
    there is this...

Not sure how (or if) its implemented though...