Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Moving from home to receive counseling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since I was 14 years old I have had multiple anxiety problems so my parents took me to the doctor and he prescribe me with a bunch of meds that I still take today. Well, I am a lot older now and still have a lot of issues with my anxiety and I have been researching quite a lot lately. I have found multiple people who seem like they have been in the same boat as I have and they have traveled from home to receive counseling, but I am not too sure what the point is going to a certain program a way from home when you can easily find one in your city.

I spoke with my parents about it and they were extremely excited that I even took the initiative to go and do research on my own and so my mom went a head and started searching for programs overseas. She said she found a San Diego anxiety counseling program that would be a perfect fit for me because it is all girls around my age. I am about 50/50 right now if I should go with the program or not, but I just really would like some input and feedback about going away into a program like this.

Has anyone gone into a program like this? Did it help? Was it worth it or anything?

This is basically a one in a life time opportunity because it would be covered by OHIP and the program starts Dec 1st so I need to find out if I am going or not next week.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I personally disagree with the theory that short intensive therapy works in the long run with people that complex issues. I also don't like CBT mainly for personal reasons but also because if you have a very analytical mind then you can often find reasons for the techniques not to work. It also often works with one problem at a time, which is great if you only have one issue, or even one main issue. But if you feel like its more of a melting pot, I doubt it would help.

Also, if you're UK based, there are residential programs in the UK. I'd seriously suggest looking into those over going to the states, their levels of certification are different and the level of training that people have to go through to become a counsellor in the US may be lower than that in the UK. Being away from home for a long period of time, and undergoing intense therapy is enough, without having to deal with being in a new country.

I know people who have gone on short term (2 weeks - 3 months) of residential therapy. Some have found it great, others have found it awful and have found it difficult to be able to leave to come home. If you were to go at to one at all I'd seriously advise not going abroad for it at all!

(Btw, the link didn't go to an anxiety program just a counsellors website. Do you have the correct link?)
    Thank you for your fast reply! I really appreciate it.

All the other people I have spoken to said that it could be a really good idea and so I am happy that someone disagrees with it lol!

Nah, I am from Canada, but have visited the UK when I was like 5. Do you have any UK websites that you could recommend me to for programs like this?

Thank you very much for your feedback, I appreciate it.

The link was just to an article I read that made me want to research more about it :)
    Again, I'd recommend looking in Canada. I know its less of a difference in cultures and such than the UK is to US/Canada, but I'd still look to something a little closer. I'm sure there are things. Do you have a therapist now? If so can they recommend anything.
    Yeah I have asked my therapist and he is looking into it, but he has not gotten back to me with anything yet..the people I spoke to said that there are not any 'good' programs in Canada so..
    What is it you'd hope to gain from it? How long would you be looking to go?
    Basically I would like to experience how other people have dealt with their anxiety issues and see how they resolved it over time. It is based off of a 3-6-12 month period and they renew everything 3 months.
    Where are you at with your education? Would this disrupt it?

It sounds like a support group might be helpful to start off with then.
    I have a bit of college, but it does interfere that is why I would like to do it to begin with. I have been in a few support groups actually and have not gotten anything out of it :(
    If support groups don't work for you, don't go to a residential program that uses a lot of group therapy. Almost all will do some, most will do quite a lot from what I've heard.

Can college be put on hold?