Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How do they check for sti's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, What exactly happens during a sti test for a women AND a man???

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There's a couple of good articles on TheSite:
    Visiting a Sexual Health Clinic, and FAQs
    Blood test (vial of blood and sometimes a small thumb prick :) ), wee, poo (or Q tip up ya bum), mouth scrapping (sometimes, not painful though) and physical examination.

Specifically -

Men - Q tip down the willy, uncomfortable but not painful.

Women - Something similar to a smear test. Lolly stick in the front bottom :)
    You're totally forgetting the speculum part though RubberSkin :p

For women, they use a metal or plastic instrument which the insert inside your vagina to open it so they can get to look at the cervix. Its not nice, but it shouldn't be painful, and especially not if you ask them to take it slowly, relax and breathe. Then they use little cotton bud style swabs to take samples.

Not the most lovely experience, but not something to be too worried about.
    Ok...
    THanks

Im scared... but ill do it :)
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Men - Q tip down the willy, uncomfortable but not painful.

Lies.

Hurts like a bitch. Like a stabby painful firey bitch that hurts for three days and god help you if you need to pee because it's going to feel like your piss is actually razor wire.

Better safe than sorry though, and it's all over in a minute. They never actually told me my results but I'm informed that means I'm clean.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    You're totally forgetting the speculum part though RubberSkin :p

For women, they use a metal or plastic instrument which the insert inside your vagina to open it so they can get to look at the cervix. Its not nice, but it shouldn't be painful, and especially not if you ask them to take it slowly, relax and breathe. Then they use little cotton bud style swabs to take samples.

Not the most lovely experience, but not something to be too worried about.

I went for a check-up recently and she got me to do it myself while she waited behind the curtain and then I popped it in the plastic pot for her to take away and test. Not sure if they are going to be doing this everywhere but I found it less stressful.