Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Best region for work in the UK currently

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys.

I'm currently living in Grimsby because I have a friend from University who is putting me up rent free.

I've been looking for jobs round here a little bit, and it looks a bit dire. So I'm considering just upping and leaving and going to somewhere in the UK where I'm pretty much guaranteed to get some decent work. I mean if it came down to it I'd be happy to move abroad too, but I'm not sure other countries are likely to be a better prospect for me.

If anyone knows of any regions in the UK with particularly low unemployment rates / high average incomes for the bottom end let me know, because staying up north I think is just going to harm any potential career prospects long term.

I can probably get the funds required to make the move, just need to know some good places.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you tried looking on places like jobsite by just putting in a town and seeing what comes up?

From what I've seen, unless you're doing aero-space engineering, there seem to be a good few jobs in the south west. A couple of people I know around here haven't had much trouble finding work (even if it was temping). Theres always jobs in London, but then theres always a huge amount of competition and much higher living costs.
    It's hard to tell sometimes because jobsites are generally spammed with fake postings by agencies as well. But south-west doesn't sound bad and is near family, just expensive to live round there.

Unemployment where I am right now is 8.8%.
    Why not stay where you are for now, as it's rent free, and start applying for jobs you like the look of all over the country. Then move once you get one? Rather than picking a random place and hoping to find work there in case it doesn't work.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: ShyBoy,
    Kat_B wrote: »
    Why not stay where you are for now, as it's rent free, and start applying for jobs you like the look of all over the country. Then move once you get one?

:yes: Kat_B makes a very good point. If you're not under pressure straight away to move then why not look for jobs that interest you and that you enjoy regardless of location and move when you find something? The only downside to this is the cost of traveling to interviews, but some places will do these over the phone or may reimburse you.

What kind of job are you looking for in particular? This might help us to give you more specific advice.

You can see the rates of unemployment across the country on diagrams like this one. However, it will depend on what type of job you are looking for and the competition within that field.

LauraO
    I'd like a training contract to become a chartered accountant. Unfortunately everyone with a degree has a punt at that career because it's not bad, so the competition is immense. Having said that, last year I got to the final round of interviews and was led to believe by the recruiters that I was the front runner, unfortunately at the end I missed out, they said I was too quiet. So I'm going to apply for the positions starting in septemeber 2012.

In the meantime, I need somewhere to live, things to do, a job to bring some money in and people to see. I ended up here because I got somewhere to live easily, but there are very limited things to do, no jobs and I don't know how to meet anyone.

So just want to pick regions that are better in general for employment.
    I know that's what I look for in an accountant: volume.
    I know that's what I look for in an accountant: volume.

Well they gave me mixed signals, the HR woman said they were very interested in me but if I could hold on another two weeks they had another person coming in for interview... I said sure... the partner I spoke to in the office said that they liked a mixed of introverts and extroverts and I admitted I was on the introvert side, but perfectly able to talk to people, she said she could tell I didn't have a problem in a conversation and that at my age very few people go into a room and break the ice with everyone. But then HR phoned me up at the end of it and said they had feedback that I was quite quiet and they felt a lot of people in their office were quite outgoing personalities, and didn't want me to not be able to gel, but that they had no doubt I would be able to do the job well.

Long story short; they thought I could do the job, but they liked the other person more. Which is acceptable, at the end of the day you pick the person who can do the job and who you think you're going to get on with the best, just sucks for me.