Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Looking for a Flat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and the three other people i live with need a bigger flat to move into, we all claim DSS and do fuck all all day, but drink and claim JSA.

Although most places don't want tenants that claim DSS is there a way round this?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Get a job
    Well yes, but i get more from benefits than i would for doing 40 hours a week....
    Aside from the fact that I think you're wrong that you get more from benefits (even a retail job full-time would pay more than the standard rate JSA), you can have someone guarantee your rent and that is acceptable to many estate agents and landlords.

They would require bank statements / accountants' records from your guarantor to prove they can cover rent owed at short notice; often they want proof that your guarantor has available the full amount of rent for the duration of the contract.
    Shikari wrote: »
    do fuck all all day, but drink and claim JSA.

I bet your JSA person would love to read that.

How about you start by looking for a job and stop scrounging.

40 hours a week at McDonalds would give you around £240 a week before tax. I highly doubt you're getting more than that on JSA.
    Shikari wrote: »
    Me and the three other people i live with need a bigger flat to move into, we all claim DSS and do fuck all all day, but drink and claim JSA.

Although most places don't want tenants that claim DSS is there a way round this?

I used to think you were okay but now I've read this post iv changed my mind, what a waste of space! you're so young as well, you could be doing so much with your life. genuinely disappointed there's young people like you around with that attitude when people are working their arses off to pay for other people's benefits. urgh.
    Advice on thread: you just have to look around, some landlords will accept DSS, some wont.

I suppose the rest of your post was trying to get a rise out of people, but I've got more important things to be getting on with than getting annoyed at people on the internet. It's your life.
    I used to think you were okay but now I've read this post iv changed my mind, what a waste of space! you're so young as well, you could be doing so much with your life. genuinely disappointed there's young people like you around with that attitude when people are working their arses off to pay for other people's benefits. urgh.

Exactly this.

I DO work, and I can't afford my own place to live in this town. Average rent on a vaguely decent 1-bed is £500pcm with nothing else included. People like you are ten to the dozen in my town and it makes me sick.
    I'm currently in a position where i know i have a rather stable job, and that pay is good. Though I still understand that many people are having a bad time of things at the moment.

If someone is genuinely lazy and cant be arsed to look for a job, then even if they get that job, they wont have it for long.

People need to get on with life an understand that surviving at the basic level is no different for anyone else on this earth; ie you need to learn to have a bit of give and take.
    G-Raffe wrote: »

People need to get on with life an understand that surviving at the basic level is no different for anyone else on this earth; ie you need to learn to have a bit of give and take.

will you explain what you mean by that in relevance to shikaris situation please?
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    If someone is genuinely lazy and cant be arsed to look for a job, then even if they get that job, they wont have it for long.

In that case he shouldn't be on JSA. It's called Job SEEKER'S Allowance for a reason.
    For all of y'all:

ncaa+highhorse.jpg

Loooooolz.
    I love how you're all getting grumpy over this... If so many other people are doing it, I might as well. Although i have pretty stunning GCSE results, and A level results, a sterling CV, plenty of previous experience. And i can't get a job. I'll quite happily upload my CV just to prove a point. And any min wage job (i'm 17), is £4.95*40= £198 a week or JSA+HLA+DLA= £210 ish a week, encluding rent bills etc

Benefit system is wrong in this country, so might as well use it whilst i can....
    Althoughh all this bitching isn't answering the question, also if you'd read previous circumstances you'd understand that i do have valid reasons to claim. But it was funny winding you up...
    Hey there Shikari,

Do you receive Local Housing Allowance (i.e. housing benefit)?
    If so, many landlords will be willing to take you on as a tenant as they know you do currently have the means to pay your rent. You could suggest that the rent is paid directly to them and check with your local authority that this is possible as another incentive for the landlord. You can also seek properties with shorter tenancy periods.

Also, check with your local authority to see if they have a list of landlords who accept housing benefit. If they don't have a list, they may still be able to help you with more info about the particular area you are in.

Hope this helps.

:)
    You could still get DLA and some Housing Benefit, and possibly Working Tax Credits on a minimum wage job, so actually your income would be much higher than you calculate. If you have a 'stunning' CV and shitloads of experience, you just need to keep looking and something will show up eventually.

Meanwhile, as ShyBoy and I said, look for landlords that will accept DSS and find someone who is prepared to guarantee your rent (usually parents, if you're on better terms with them these days).
    Might have helped to post your previous circumstances then, as to allow people coming into this thread who have not read previous posts the ability to make a well rounded judgement.

You perhaps have had a little more flak than you deserved in here, but constructing your opening post in the way you did is highly likely to get peoples backs up, and if you thought it was funny winding people up, then that kind of shows the attitude you have.

It doesnt matter how ninja your a level results are, if you sit around drinking all day in the house, that doesnt suggest that you are taking the job hunting seriously does it. A smart guy like you knows this and should perhaps try to ask for sensible advice in a sensible way.
    Look its up to you how you live your life and with the high cost of living vs. low wages and the screwwy benefit system you may have a point. However if you choose to live like this then you have to accept that a lot of people will look down on you and you will be considered undesirable to a lot of people including potential landlords, employers and girlfriends.

You could save money if you cut back on the alcohol then maybe you would be able to afford to take a job and/or go back to college.