Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Work experiance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey guys :)
We've been told that if we want to do work experience we have to find the placement ourselves.
I was just wondering if anyone could give advice about how to do this, and where would be a good place to do work experience?
(I want to be a lawyer or work with the mentally ill, but I doubt I'll be able to do anything like that for work experience haha!)

Thanks,
Niamh
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Approach the local courts and see what they say?
    Basically, come up with ideas of things you think you might want to do, then approach local related companies and ask if they do work experience.

It's probably best to put together a kind of CV and a cover letter explaining why you're interested in doing work experience, what the dates are etc.

If you're interested in law, then your best bet might be to see if you can find a lawyer to shadow for a day actually doing their thing, and then seeing if you can get a week or two work experience in a solicitors firm with one of the legal secretary or office managers or similar.
    If you're interested in law, then your best bet might be to see if you can find a lawyer to shadow for a day actually doing their thing, and then seeing if you can get a week or two work experience in a solicitors firm with one of the legal secretary or office managers or similar.

I pretty much ended up doing this, actually, I think it was the courts. As well as sorting out some paperwork and attending a few court cases.
    Hey B-A :wave:

In case you haven't seen it I just wanted to pop in with this link to our info on work experience: http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/gettingajob/careerladder/workexperienceplacements

A few useful tips in there and the 'Next Steps' box on the right of the article has some links to websites that might be helpful :) Good luck with the search!
    Thanks guys! Still haven't fully decided where I want to go, but I'm thinking about a special needs school :) If I went there it means I'd also be able to do part of my sports leadership qualification, which would be useful.
    I worked with Social Services in a home with mentally ill people, it's difficult to get in to those. Do you have any lawyers in the family you could get a placement from? Do you have your self placement sheets? Have you sorted any ideas out since you last posted this?
    My great uncle's a lawyer, but he lives in London. I think I'm going to go to the special needs school, I might speak to my uncle about going to the Psychiatric hospital with him (he works there) but I think you have to be 17.
    How long do you have before work expieirance starts for you?
    Ages... it's in May I think. but we have to let school know if we're doing it by Friday :)
    Do-it.org is a good website for volunteering, highly recommend it