Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Scroobius pip - spoken word on depression/suicidal feelings

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
hey guys,
Wanted to share this with you but not sure of the right place for it... it's kind of entertainment, but also kind of not...it's also creative but kind of not because it's not my piece so I'm not looking for creative feedback. :)

So because people can expect to read/listen to topics related to suicide and self-harm here, I thought probably best here...

So, I'm not saying this is a good or bad video, I'm more interested in your perspectives.

What do you feel, if anything, is the impact of this video? Does it raise any interesting issues/questions?

Finally, I think it goes without saying (but I should say it ;)) that as the content of this spoken word piece is about suicide and makes reference to self-harm, please think about whether or not you're in the right frame of mind before watching... I say this because I have very mixed feelings about its impact and while some people are saying it's amazing and has helped them, others don't necessarily feel the same way.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it implies that people who commit suicide are self-centered and don't think about the impact it has on other people.... I don't think this is true at all - so not really a fan tbh.

I *know* that my actions don't just affect me, I'm aware that this is way bigger than just me. I'm not naive enough to think that my body = my business. I don't like that he is implying that I'm selfish.... I understand there is a bigger picture and sometimes just nothing is enough. Meh.
    I haven't watched the clip (sorry), but I can defend the comment about selfishness, to an extent.

You could see suicide as a selfish act in the sense that it's not that the person is without knowledge or insensitive but they are made so self-absorbed by the condition that either the knowledge of the effect on other people is not enough, or they deny the knowledge and claim that no one would be affected because no one likes them.

Does that make sense? I guess I'm saying that 'selfish' isn't always judgemental.

As I say, I can't comment on context because I'm having video issues (my problem, not TheSite's).
    piccolo wrote: »
    You could see suicide as a selfish act in the sense that it's not that the person is without knowledge or insensitive but they are made so self-absorbed by the condition that either the knowledge of the effect on other people is not enough, or they deny the knowledge and claim that no one would be affected because no one likes them.

Excellent insight, in my opinion.
    I didn't like it. I found it very guilt-trippy.
    I lost my sister to suicide I know how scary and devastating it is. The video tries to point this out and this is fine if a persons not actively suicidal....thinking logically. If someone's on the edge they have tunnel vision at that point and this common sense approach doesn't soothe them - in fact it might make them feel worse. They might not have any support at all IRL like family, loving partner or friends.

When I read a suicidal post on a different forum, I only mention my own experience a little because I know they're unable to think past their own pain - they're too consumed to think about anyone else. Its good to try to get them to be patient...... think beyond the moment of intense pain and of course to get professional help. It also sounds kind of preachy which a suicidal person may reject because they want people to deal with their feelings not worry about other people. Thank you for sharing though and if some benefit that's good.