Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting drunk for the first time

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone. I'm soon to be 18 and have never drank alcohol before in my life...like literally not even a sip. I never actually ever wanted to either, but just recently curiosity is getting the better of me and I want to have one experience of it at least. I'm going to a party in a few weeks time which I may use as my opportunity to get drunk for the first time. I'll be at a friend's house for his 18th, and a lot of mutual friends will be there whom I trust to watch over me if necessary, some of whom will definitely not be drinking/getting drunk. I'm not sure if I definitely will drink or not because my parents would kill me if they ever found out, so I would have to stay over at a friend's house that night which they may or may not give me permission to do, haha, and there are going to be loads of people in my year at school there and I don't really want my drinking to turn into some big novelty thing that everyone talks about...I'm a practising Muslim and it's well-known that I don't drink, so I'm concerned about people making it into a big deal, you know? I don't really want it to be publicised outside of the party...

Anyways, I was just wondering if there was any advice you could give me about drinking for the first time and stuff? I literally know nothing about alcohol...I've grown up being at parties where people have been drinking, but I've always been t-total like I said and never paid attention to what people were drinking or anything. I also don't have the best stomach in general and I'm concerned about being sick...I don't want to get absolutely smashed to the point where I can't function and then barely remember anything of the night, but you know.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if it is something you genuinely want to do and you feel you can trust the people around you then i would advise you start off gently. Unfortunately other peoples reactions may be a big deal and if you don't want this then it may be better to leave it. Only you know your friends well enough to know whether they will be silly with the information.

If you decide to go ahead with it, bear in mind that it is illegal to buy alcohol under the age of 18, binge drinking can effect your health and that alcohol may cause you to make decisions you wouldn't normally that may not always be sensible eg sex with someone you don't know, drink driving, unprotected sex, table dancing in your local pub blah blah. Be aware of these things, particularly the last one about decision making.

My advice personally would be start with something with a fairly low alcohol percentage like alcopops, stay in control of yourself by limiting yourself to just a couple of small bottles the first time you try them. If you have something like orange bacardi breezer and pour it in a glass you wont be advertising the fact you are drinking alcohol. buddy up with someone you really trust to help you if the drink effects you too adversely. Drink it slowly, don't guzzle - alcohol can make you feel drunk quite quickly or not depending on different factors like what you have eaten or not (eating a few hours before you start drinking can increase your tolerance). If you feel too out of control, dizzy or sick definately slow down and have some water if you can.

tipsy can be fun and usually comes after around two drinks, but when you have never drunk before it could be after half a alcopop or so as you dont know your tolerance. Too much will make you feel ill so definately best to take it slow. If you feel ok after one or two you can always have more later if you feel you want to. When you feel you have had enough switch to water to avoid a hangover. Be aware there is a fine line between tipsy and drunk.Take it slowly and carefully and you will avoid what you talked about.
    I totally agree with **Summer-Raindrops** :thumb:
    Being drunk isn't always that much fun, especially if you're not used to it. Aiming to get drunk right away is probably not a good idea. Instead, start with a few small drinks and see how you get on.
    I literally know nothing about alcohol...I've grown up being at parties where people have been drinking, but I've always been t-total like I said and never paid attention to what people were drinking or anything. I also don't have the best stomach in general and I'm concerned about being sick...I don't want to get absolutely smashed to the point where I can't function and then barely remember anything of the night, but you know.

Hey Unconventional :wave:

Not sure if the party has happened yet but if it has then I hope it all went to plan whether you decided to drink in the end or not?

You said you knew very little about alcohol so if you want to swat up then have you had a look through the drinking section here on TheSite?

This article is all about drinking preparation and how to drink safely which gives you advice on things like making sure you've eaten and switching to non-alcoholic drinks in between: http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs/drinking/responsibledrinking/safedrinking

Main thing to remember as others have said is just take it slow and drink what you feel comfortable with :thumb: