Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Job Hunt

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Just wanted to ask for ideas/advice, but also to try and general idea of what people think of the jobs market.

My impression of the jobs market is that it's pretty tough. Don't know whether you would agree ? I mean stories about the economy are often in the news and I've heard statistics like 1 in 4 young people out of work, high graduate unemployment.

In my own position not quite sure what's for the best. I did French and History at Manchester University and graduated in 2007. I had mental health problems whilst there so I've been looking at that the last few years to try and put things in place to prevent them happening again if possible.

From a career point of view I had no real idea what I wanted to do when I left.

First I got into voluntary work doing admin whilst applying and between 2007-8 had quite a few interviews, but didn't get a job. Between 2008-9 I did some internship schemes in France I enjoyed and when I got back temped late 2009-early 2010.

Since then have been doing voluntary work around advice and guidance and have done an NVQ3 in Advice and Guidance which I finished in July.

I've done a range of courses over the last few years (too many to note) but many around mental health and personal development.

I suppose my question is how tough is the jobs market do you think and also is it best to just go for anything ? I wouldn't say I'm being picky but I'm just not quite sure what to do as I feel it is pretty tough to get a job.

Maybe I could look to do try out some more voluntary work to give me more ideas about likes and dislikes whilst looking round for anything that comes along.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've got a good degree, a good CV and a lot of voluntary experience in the area I want to work in and I'm struggling.

I think it's pretty tough.
    Job hunters today have to be bravely positive and have stamina in a fiercely competitive market for good jobs
    Job market is truely shite. My plan was to apply for at least 2 jobs a week. It can be hard to find even 2 suitable jobs to apply for. A lot of work is temporary or part time which in my case is useless. I thought 2009 was bad but 2011 is much worse.
    JanePerson wrote: »
    Job market is truely shite. My plan was to apply for at least 2 jobs a week. It can be hard to find even 2 suitable jobs to apply for.

I've found this too. Some weeks, there's nothing at all.
    Have to agree with the others- the current job market is really tough. Good luck and stay positive.
    Yep I agree too. Graduated last year. There was one vacancy I could find for which I wasn't servilely over- or under-qualified for. I was very lucky and beat off a few people to the job. It meant moving counties but there was sod all around so I took it.

All you need is one ideal job, and a dollop of luck! But yeah.... it's hard. Good luck :)
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah I thought it wasn't great, but just wanted confirmation of my thoughts. I just got a job this week though - it's only a few hours to start with, but could grow and once i'm in with the organisation things may turn up. I'm doing basic History and French tuition for a charity in Liverpool. Think I'll enjoy it.