Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Landlady wants viewings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We've had quite a lot of disputes with our landlady over her totally unreasonable behaviour, and after trying to discuss this with her she gave us our notice. We've got until the end of October, but we've spoken to Shelter, and if we're still paying rent, and we haven't found anywhere we could still potentially stay until xmas (because she'd have to get possession orders and such).

We've had her in and out of the house for the past 6 months, and we're really unwilling to have anyone else come and view the house right now after that experience.

I need to get back in touch with shelter, and ask their opinion, but thats going to take some time, and i've had the estate agent on my back several times already.

Do we have a right to say no to viewings until we leave?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Check your contract. Usually she (or her representative) has access with a certain amount of notice (usually 24 hours). Stick to that amount of notice, you're entitled to.
    It is reasonable for the landlord to conduct viewings providing they give you reasonable notice (24 hours minimum) and providing the viewings are conducted during reasonable hours.

In terms of notice I think you have been badly advised. You do not have to leave when the notice expires- the landlord would need to obtain a possession order and then a warrant of eviction- but the landlord can sue you for the court costs if you do not leave. These are not small costs. Many landlords will not sue but if you have an appalling relationship with her then she may well do out of spite.
    can you not find somewhere else to rent?
    I've been looking for months, and not found anything suitable and affordable, I'm not being fussy but theres really not much here!

We're on the housing list as well, near the top, but theres about 15 people above us.

Its the estate agent who's doing the viewings, I've put him off for 2 weeks because I'm on my own here for a while and need to start boxing stuff up and need to paint a bedroom back, but I don't know how much longer I can keep saying no.

She may well decide to sue, but my mother is planning on sueing her for not acting in line with the tenancy agreement - such as staying in the garden and coming into the house without our permission.

I just all of this to be over, its really screwing with me.
    Hey there Miss_Riot,

Sorry to hear things are not going well with your landlord/agent.

I think Arctic Roll's advice is spot on. Also, as piccolo says check your tenancy agreement for minimum notice periods they must give you for viewings.

You mention that your landlord has breached the tenancy agreement on other matters and that you may want to sue her for this. It might be an idea to visit a legal advisor to get legal advice on all the matters that are troubling you. Shelter are a great source of information, but sometimes it helps to sit down face-to-face with someone to ensure you tell them all the relevant information; therefore their advice will be more accurate.

You can try your local Citizen's Advice Bureau ; stick your postcode in their website and details of your local office will come up.

:)
    Already been to shelter, and been told we could stay here til nearly xmas because we haven't got a legal notice to quit. But I haven't had the chance to talk to to our worker to ask about viewings.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    She may well decide to sue, but my mother is planning on sueing her for not acting in line with the tenancy agreement - such as staying in the garden and coming into the house without our permission.

That's just throwing good money after bad- you can only sue if you suffer financial loss.
    That's just throwing good money after bad- you can only sue if you suffer financial loss.

This. So she's in a much better position to sue than you are. Have you checked your tenancy agreement re: access?
    Yeah, and she has broken the terms of the tennancy, and we haven't. How has our landlady had a financial loss? We've paid the rent, nothing has gone missing, been broken and not been replaced.

I spoke to Shelter again today, and we can say no to any viewings, which is good news. I just hate to think whats going to happen when our landlady finds out we're not planning to leave until we find somewhere, and not when she wants us out. I just hope she doesn't get aggressive like last time.
    Yeah, and she has broken the terms of the tennancy, and we haven't. How has our landlady had a financial loss? We've paid the rent, nothing has gone missing, been broken and not been replaced.

I know that, I was thinking of her suing to get you out.

She still can take legal action to get you out sooner than you would like, so you do need to keep looking (sorry, I know this sucks).

She hasn't, until she has to sue for possession. At that point she has a cost. That's the point.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I know that, I was thinking of her suing to get you out.

She still can take legal action to get you out sooner than you would like, so you do need to keep looking (sorry, I know this sucks).

We are still looking, but theres sod all about. We were 9th on the council list for a perfect place last week...but 9th doesn't mean we get keys in hand.