Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

is there an age on friendship?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was talking to some of my friends about been friends with older or younger people and does age really matter. To me it doesn't if you get on well there that person older/younger then why does it matter but to them it does.

I'm friends with someone who has just turned 18 I'm 23 and don't see nothing wrong I like the person and get on really well with them. I have a 25 and 24 year old friends the sees this as wrong the person who's 18 calls them a friends but they doesn't want to be friends cuase they feel they are to old to be friends with an 18 year old witch I think is stupid cause they get on well. They say they to mature for the 18 year old I think that's just bullsh*t and they seem to think people are goin to say why is there 25 year old out in clubs with a 18 year old.

To me age is just a number only really matters when your in your teens

Comments

• Options
    Doesnt bother me. Im 21 and i have friends ranging from 16 years old to 60
  • Options
    It doesn't bother me. A close friend of mine is the same age as my mum. I think age doesn't matter - most of my friends are older than me - for the simple reason that I share their interests.
  • Options
    I'd be lying if I said age didn't bother me. I'm 18 and to be honest I'm not interested in befriending younger people all that much, I don't know why, because when I was a child most of my street friends were 1-3 years younger than me and I used to get teased for "hanging around with babies" by my brother and sister. Sometimes I can hold a good conversation with someone younger (like my friends girlfriend who is 16, but she's quite mature), but I'm not interested in befriending anyone below about 16. In all honesty, I just prefer to befriend people my age or older. My oldest friend is 24, second oldest is 22. The rest are 18/19. It's probably a little hypocritical of me to expect older people to befriend me yet I don't really have any younger friends except for one who's nearly 17, but thats mainly because we've known each other since I was about 7 and she was 5. :P

Maybe when I'm in my 20's this won't bother me, but for now it kinda does.
  • Options
    Threxy wrote: »
    I'd be lying if I said age didn't bother me. I'm 18 and to be honest I'm not interested in befriending younger people all that much, I don't know why, because when I was a child most of my street friends were 1-3 years younger than me and I used to get teased for "hanging around with babies" by my brother and sister. Sometimes I can hold a good conversation with someone younger (like my friends girlfriend who is 16, but she's quite mature), but I'm not interested in befriending anyone below about 16. In all honesty, I just prefer to befriend people my age or older. My oldest friend is 24, second oldest is 22. The rest are 18/19. It's probably a little hypocritical of me to expect older people to befriend me yet I don't really have any younger friends except for one who's nearly 17, but thats mainly because we've known each other since I was about 7 and she was 5. :P

Maybe when I'm in my 20's this won't bother me, but for now it kinda does.

I'm the same I still talk to people that's about 8 years younger but I wouldn't hang about with them just talk to. Doesn't bother me if I was friends with people who are older then me or if people were a couple of years younger.

But the people who are 24 and 25 thinks they shouldn't be friends with someone who's just turned 18 they said the 18 year old is immature for them even know they talk about the same stuff and do the same stuff. I don't see what's wrong with it I think there just been twats about the whole thing they're getting on as if there 40
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with it. I'm mates with a guy at work who's about 120.
  • Options
    id be friends to a certain extent with someone much younger, but not sure id have THAT much in common with an 18 year old to be really close or anything, but i guess it would depend on the person.
  • Options
    Depends on the age and maturity. One of my closest friends, and Sod Baby's Godfather, is 47.