Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Leaving degree off CV?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are you allowed to do it? Either I'm over qualified or under experienced and I'm getting sick of being turned down for jobs I know I'm more than capable of doing. Is it ok to leave my degree off my CV when applying for jobs that don't really require it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah but I don't think many will advise it, but if they ask at interview, you'll have to explain the gap in your CV.
    I worked during my degree (and still do) so if I miss it out it just looks like I've been working there since I finished my A levels
    i have been told (someone will have to back me up here) that you can't be refused a job due to being overqualified... all equal ops and stuff
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    i have been told (someone will have to back me up here) that you can't be refused a job due to being overqualified... all equal ops and stuff
    In theory.. but in reality people do get declined for jobs for being 'overqualified' because the employer is scared that the person will leave as soon as something better comes along, so they don't really want to bother having to do the recruitment process again.

I don't know if you can leave it off your CV, I don't see why not, unless they somehow directly ask if you have a degree.. then you can get done for lying about it.
    The deadline isn't even for another week and they've dismissed me already, I didn't even get an interview. I emailed them back and asked for a reason because I see no obvious one as to why they won't consider me. I have several years experience in retail (its a retail job) and also experience as a pet owner (its a mass pet store) and an animal science qualification. I also live 5mins away. I'm pretty sure they can dismiss me for being 'overqualified' but they'll probably fob me off with something else.
    I'm sorry to hear. :/ That's tough, I don't have much supportive words to say, but good luck in job hunting.. I'm sure you will find something, sooner or later.
    It's just an excuse, if you don't put the degree on then they would find another one instead - personally it's never been a reason for me not to interview anyone but I have wondered a few times if the person will hang around. Having said that, these days it doesn't make as much a difference anyway, so many people with degrees hunting jobs and so little opportunity means people hang around longer.

I would never remove any of my qualifications, except the business specific ones which are no longer relevant (old Insurance exams from my first job, useless in the NHS!) and I would beef up the experience section - really go to town on what my job entailed. I've always found that it's experience, more that academic qualifications, which make someone attractive to an employer.
    If employers dismiss you for stupid reasons it is also often the case that they already have someone internal in mind for the job, but are required to advertise it externally, so try not to let it get you down too much :)
    Miss_Riot wrote: »

Whether that's true, I don't know; but, they'll find any other excuse for not giving someone the job.
    There are no rules about what you can and can't put on your CV, but obviously if you actively lie then the employer will probably find reasonable grounds to terminate your contract after you start.

I left my degree off my CV when I was applying for lifeguarding jobs.
    Hey there,

As Scary Monster says, you can include or exclude whatever you want on your CV (as long as you don't lie!)

It's great that you're thinking about tailoring your CV to the job you are applying for; many people make the mistake of overlooking this.

To improve your CV and applications further, you may wish to take a look at theSite's pages on 'Job Applications'.

Good luck with the job hunt.

:)
    I've experience on both sides of the fence and, being honest, if someone has a lot of qualifications for a job that doesn't need them I wonder why they're applying for the job. I want someone who knows what they're doing but who isn't going to jump ship after six months. Desperation for a job, any job, is a good reason but doesn't fill me with confidence that they will stick around.

For low-level jobs I'd be tempted to leave off the degree if you can mask the gap in your employment, but be aware you can normally tell even if something's omitted.
    Also if you can demonstrate in your covering letter why you want this job at this stage in your life and directly address this it means your more likely to get a job or at least an interview, you need to say why you wont' be jumping ship when somethign better comes along.

I have in the past offered jobs to people who are over qualified but who have good reasons for applying for the job.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Also if you can demonstrate in your covering letter why you want this job at this stage in your life and directly address this it means your more likely to get a job or at least an interview, you need to say why you wont' be jumping ship when somethign better comes along.

I have in the past offered jobs to people who are over qualified but who have good reasons for applying for the job.

Will do this next time. Cheers!