Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is Schizophrenia a life-long illness?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is Schizophrenia a life-long illness?

Comments

• Options
    There are different types of schizophrenia.

I've been reading helpful facts on schizophrenia from Healthguidance.org. It is a lifelong illness but unlike the way things were decades ago, schizophrenia is now a manageable condition with the proper medications and therapy.

A new generation of treatment and the introduction of new kinds of therapies have allowed doctors to treat schizophrenia symptoms on most patients by enabling them to have productive, meaningful lives in their societies.
  • Options
    Hi brunettebarbie

An interesting question that opens the topic up for debate.

If it's more information you're after, check out this quite comprehensive and easy to digest info page here on the site. Check the link below and let me know what you think.

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/mentalhealth/otherconditions/schizophrenia

Phil :-)
  • Options
    Thanks, Phil I had a read. i guess i was curious to know if once diagnosed its something you have to live with for the foreseable future?
  • Options
    Thanks, Phil I had a read. i guess i was curious to know if once diagnosed its something you have to live with for the foreseable future?

From my knowledge (which is not professional), it's something that is considered lifelong but with the proper treatment can go into 'remission' (i.e. no noticeable symptoms) with the correct treatment.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    From my knowledge (which is not professional), it's something that is considered lifelong but with the proper treatment can go into 'remission' (i.e. no noticeable symptoms) with the correct treatment.

Thanks Piccolo, makes sense :) I was asking as i apparently keep having relapses. I don't think i can fully accept it yet.