Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Possible to refuse referral to occupational health?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi,

It sounds like quite a stressful time for you. You may want to seek expert help from your union (if you have one), ACAS or Citizens Advice who can discuss your specific circumstances.

Generally, an employer would be seen to act reasonably if they asked you to undergo a medical examination if you were regularly having time off due to illness. Your contract will normally stipulate that they have a right to ask you undertake such tests. Therefore if you refused without a valid reason it could be a breach of contract.

That said, you may want to ask them if they would accept a medical assessment from your own GP. You may have to pay your GP for this service. Your GP may also be able to discuss and help resolve issues that you don't want your employer to know about.

Hope this helps,

Olly
  • Options
    It depends on the terms and conditions of your contract as to whether you can be forced to undergo a general medical assessment. If you refuse to do so without good cause then many employers will see this as a breach of your contract. Certainly my contract of employment states that if my absence record is sufficiently poor a referral to OH will be made and failure to comply with this referral without good cause would be seen as a disciplinary matter.

Recreational drug use won't really be seen as good cause...
  • Options
    Testing for drugs wasn't what I had in mind. Problem dealt with today anyway, OH visit no longer on the cards.